Author Topic: Help with finding Thomas HAINES (1820), John HAINES (1820) William HAINES  (Read 11226 times)

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with finding Thomas HAINES (1820), John HAINES (1820) William HAINES
« on: Wednesday 28 March 18 06:29 BST (UK) »

Hi all,

I am new to this. I believe I may have posted my questions on the wrong board - oops  ;), still have the training wheels on. If I am still in the wrong area please tell me.

I'm researching my Gx3 grandfather (Thomas HAINES 1820 Aston/Birmingham Warwickshire) and have hit a few bumps that I'm hoping someone can help me with. I've copied in part of my earlier post (across two posts as quite lengthy). If there is someone who can help or point me towards another rabbit hole I would be eternally grateful.

I'd love to find Thomas (Gx3 Grandfather) and John Haines (possibly his brother....) in 1841 and find out what happened to John. I have been able to trace Thomas Haines from his wedding in 1847 to Elizabeth Wakerley and then through the censuses of 1851 and 1861 until his possible death in 1873 (APR-JUN QTR in Birmingham, Warwickshire).

1. Benjamin Haines/Haynes (bachelor) married Ann Weston (spinster) on 23/08/1818 at Saint Peter and Saint Paul Chursh (Church of England) Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, by banns. Both Benjamin Haynes and Ann Weston didn't sign their own names but just made a mark "X" so were probably illiterate. Their witnesses (names hard to read) possibliy named Joshua Wright and Margarett Carter/s didn't sign their own names but just made a mark "X" so were probably illiterate.

2. Benjamin Haines and Ann (may have?) had the following children
2.1 William Haines (missing as well)
There was a William Haines born 07/04/1818 and christened / baptised at Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England on 29/10/1827. Father: Benjamin Haines Mother: Ann. Abode: Fazely / Fazeley (?) Street. Father's occupation: Coach Spring Maker. Note: This is the same abode that is listed on his sister's burial records in 1829 Jane Haynes. Saint Martin Church = Church of England. Was he born before his parents were married? His parents marriage records show that they were married on 23/08/1818, he would have been 4 months old. He was not baptised until he was 9 years old so perhaps his true date of birth wasn't recorded previously ? Can't find any information on him after the 1841 Census. In the 1841 Census his occupation was listed as "Whip xxx?" can't decipher it.

2.2 Thomas Haines / Haynes (my GX3 grandfather)
A Thomas Haines was born on 14/08/1820 and baptised on 27/05/1825 at Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England. Father Benjamin Haines, Mother Ann. Canal Street (?) and Father's Occupation Coach Spring Fitter / Filer (?) ... hard to read...
It would appear that his sister was baptised on the same day and she is on the same record. A Mary Ann Haines was born on 22/01/1824  and baptised on 27/05/1825 at Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England. Father Benjamin Haines, Mother Ann. Canal Street (?) and Father's Occupation Coach Spring Fitter / Filer (?) ... hard to read...
Thomas married Elizabeth Wakerley and they went on to have 7 children - can trace all the way through to me (happy).

2.3 John Haines (the missing guy)
There was a John Haines born 27/09/1820 and christened / baptised at Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England on 14/05/1821. Father: Benjamin Haines Mother: Ann. Abode: Morland Street. Father's Occupation: Gun Finisher (Problem - John is listed as being born 17/09/1820 and Thomas is listed as being born 14/08/1820, it could be possible the dates are incorrect or it could be possible that they are NOT related?). No further information - what happened to him? Could John and Thomas be lodging in 1841 at Moor Street, Aston, Birmingham with a couple called John and Sarah Bailey (are they a boarding house?)

2.4 Mary Ann Haines (missing from 1841 census, don't know where she is in 1841?)
A Mary Ann Haines was born on 22/01/1824 and baptised on 27/05/1825 at Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England. Father Benjamin Haines, Mother Ann. Canal Street (?) and Father's Occupation Coach Spring Fitter / Filer (?) ... hard to read.. Mary Ann married William Lakin Summers and had 8 children. I can trace her through 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses.
Could Mary Ann be lodging in 1841 at High Street, Birmingham, Warwickshire with a Mary Syson and lots of other females. Note - her dad and step mother Charlotte are residing at xx High Street, Deritend, Aston, Warwickshire in 1841 - is this the same street (maybe the three children from the first marriage except William were moved out? wouldn't you love to go back in time and be able to ask them...)

2.5 Jane Haines
A Jane Haynes was buried on 05/04/1829 in Birmingham, Warwick, England on 30/03/1829 aged 9 weeks of abode Fazeley Street. Father: Benjamin Haynes Mother: Ann. It appears her mother (Ann Haynes nee Weston) was buried on 29/03/1829 a week before. (Note: Fazeley Street is the same abode as per her brother's baptism 2 years earlier in 1827 - William Haines). I'm assuming both baby Jane (9 weeks) and Ann Haynes (nee Weston) died maybe due to complications in child birth or the same illness??? It's sad when you see little ones who didn't make it.

(continued on next post)

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding Thomas HAINES (1820), John HAINES (1820) William HAINES
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 06:30 BST (UK) »
Continued from earlier post

3. Benjamin Haines/Haynes re-married to Charlotte Bridgens (nee unknown - but her 1st husband was Samuel Bridgens I think as he is listed as the father on records of both Joseph and Maria Bridgens). Benjamin Haynes (widower) married Charlotte Bridgens (widow) on 26/01/1835 at Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England, by banns. Both Benjamin Haynes and Charlotte Bridgens didn't sign their own names but just made a mark "X" so were probably illiterate. Their witnesses (names hard to read) possibly named Hannah Eaton / Easton didn't sign just made a mark "X" and William Eaton / Easton signed his own name.

4. Charlotte Bridgen's children listed on 1841 Census (as Haines) and 1851 Census (as Bridgens) are:
4.1 Joseph Bridgens
There was a Joseph Bridgens born on 07/03/1825 and christened on 04/08/1825 at Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England. Father: Samuel Bridgens. Mother: Charlotte Bridgens.
1st wife: A Joseph Bridgens married an Sarah Betts on 25/08/1844 at St Phillip's Cathedral, Birmingham, Warwick, England. Father's name: Samuel Bridgens. Spouse's father: John Betts. I think they has a child Sarah Jane Bridgens born 1849, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. Can't find any trace of her after 1851 Census, I think her mum also Sarah died died in 1853 (JAN-MAR QTR) and on 20/03/1853 aged 33 years, born approx 1820. Maybe little Sarah went to live with relatives whilst her dad re-married...
2nd wife: A Joseph Bridgens married an Elizabeth Jones (nee Plant) in 1854 (APR-JUN QTR) at Kings Norton, Worcestershire, England. They had two children Mary Ann Bridgens (1858 Aston) and Caroline Bridgens (1855 Aston) who I've been able to find an trace through.
4.2 Mary Maria Bridgens
There was a Mary Maria Bridgens born on 03/11/1829 and christened on 24/11/1829 at Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England. Father: Samuel Bridgens. Mother: Charlotte Bridgens.
She went on to marry a Cornelius Jefferies on 09/05/1853 at Saint Mark, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. Father: Samuel Bridgens. Spouse's father: Thomas Jeffries. They had 3 children and I can trace them through. Charlotte Jeffries (1855), Clara Jeffries (1864), Julie Jeffries (1861)

5. Benjamin Haines/Haynes and Charlotte (nee Bridgens nee xxx) children.
So they both had children from previous marriages (as above) and they also went on to have Isaac Haynes born 1838 Aston, Reuben Haynes 1841 Aston and Charlotte Haynes 1843 Aston (i'm still researching these ones)

Lots of notes, lots of questions, lots of fun. Very addictive ... almost better than coffee! Many thanks to anyone who can assist, I'd really appreciate it  :) :) :)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Chev, The first question I have is over the birth dates of Thomas and John.  Thomas 14 August 1820, John 27 September 1820, not sure these dates are right.

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Yes I don't think the dates are correct either ... they are the dates on the actual parish documents for the christening / baptisms for both. I will attach (if I can work out how ... still training wheels) and post. If the documents attach properly then John's record is on right page 2nd from bottom, Thomas' record is on left page 3rd from top and his sister's is directly beneath his record. Hope this works.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 07:24 BST (UK) »
Yes they appear correct on those records and also FamilySearch has the same dates, either Ann was in labour for a very long time or one of those dates is wrong.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 07:28 BST (UK) »
Just notice all the other dates on the page for Thomas are 1824 and 1825. Thomas has 1820.

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 07:30 BST (UK) »
Being a mum to 3 boys all I can say is ... ouch!!! I was wondering could the parents have made an error. John was baptised in 1821 the year after his birth and Mary Ann is baptised in 1825 the year after her birth whereas Thomas's baptism is 4.5 years after his birth - so maybe his date is wrong?

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 07:34 BST (UK) »
If I read it right it says 1820 for Thomas's baptism.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 07:37 BST (UK) »
William Haines, born 1818, baptised 1827.