Author Topic: Help with finding Thomas HAINES (1820), John HAINES (1820) William HAINES  (Read 11241 times)

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with finding Thomas HAINES (1820), John HAINES (1820) William HAINES
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 March 18 07:49 BST (UK) »
 the free bmd record i found for Thomas HAINES

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 March 18 07:52 BST (UK) »
It's on the GRO index, if he was 50 at death it ties in with a birth 1823.  https://www.gro.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 March 18 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I asked FamilySearch about the conflicting dates for Thomas and John, here's there reply which about confirms what we thought...

Thank you for contacting Family Search about the Haines records from Birmingham, St Martin.

It seems likely that this is an error in the original record.  The register definitely states 1820, but Benjamin and Ann had William in 1818, John in 1820, Mary Ann in 1824 and the  Jane in 1829, so it appears that the most likely date for Thomas’ birth is 1822. 

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:09 BST (UK) »

Hi,

That's great, so possibly 1822? I feel like I'm on the steepest learning curve. I didn't know you could query family search about the records. I've also just registered at https://www.gro.gov.uk and ordered a pdf version of death details for Benjamin HAYNES who died in 1865 in Birmingham aged 66 years birth approx 1799 to see what it will show me (dates/place ties up with when he drops off the census records). If I am correct then this would make him my Gx4 grandfather (which is quite exciting). I'm the first in my immediate family to be interested in our family history and I fear I may become addicted. I am very grateful for your help thus far. Thank you. I am going to spend a little time now seeing if I can find his brothers' missing pasts - William HAINES and John HAINES.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi chev, Let us know when you get the PDF. I've been looking for William and John nearly all day but have'nt come up with any thing possitive, there a John who married a Harriett in 1850 then moved to Canada and died in 1881. Lost the record now, will look for it tomorrow.
Know what you mean about getting addicted, I started 12 years ago, got about as far as I can go with my tree but it's fun and satisfying helping others.

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:53 BST (UK) »

Many thanks for looking all day - 12 years wow! I better get a bigger arm chair as I may be parked for a while then ....

I will certainly let you know when it comes in (the date they estimated it would be ready was 6th April so not too far).

1. John and Harriet HAINES - married 26/08/1850 St Thomas Dudley Worcestershire.
I went down that worm hole - traced them all the way to Canada and their descendants to a graveyard in Mount Hope, Brandford, Ontario - was a great journey but not part of my tree (she lived until 93 - amazing!). I've parked all the documents in my "worm hole" filing area in case another person ever inquires and then I can help them out. John Haines married Harriet WINSLOW in 1850 (her father William Winslow married Mary Bright in 1829) all in the UK. Harriet HAINES emigrated in 1859 (possibly USA) and then to Canada in 1868-1869. Their marriage details show that John Haines' father is a William Haines and was a farmer and their abode was King Street. The other thread that you posted the link on today shows another friendly helper who found this information for me. (If someone searches in the future perhaps they'll stumble across our conversation).

2. William HAYNES - 1818
I've just now found a William Haynes born 1818 died in 1887 69 years in Ruby, Warwickshire. Will investigate a bit further tonight and let you know. I agree it is very satisfying helping others especially when it all makes sense to them and they have a "wow" moment.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 March 18 07:17 BST (UK) »
Maybe but I can't find a marriage.

1881 England Census

Name:    John Haines
Estimated Birth Year:    abt 1823
Relationship to Head:    Head
Spouse:    Susanna Haines
Where born:    Birmn, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish:    Birmingham
County/Island:    Warwickshire
Street address:    4 Fisher St
Marital Status:    Married
Education:
Employment status:    
Registration district:    Birmingham
Sub registration district:    St George
ED, institution, or vessel:    61 and 62
Neighbors:    View others on page
Piece:    3001
Folio:    120
Page Number:    31

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 March 18 07:27 BST (UK) »
Hello solidrock (and anyone else who would like to help....),

Here's an update on my last post about trying to find William HAINES/HAYNES born 1818 baptised 1827 (father: Benjamin, mother: Ann) possibly my Gx3 grandfather's brother...

1. William HAYNES born 1818 died in 1887 69 years in Ruby, Warwickshire (per earlier post)
I don't believe it's him as I was able to trace this one through the Censuses and I don't feel the details really fit - was worth eliminating.

2. I restricted my search for deaths to ASTON and BIRMINGHAM my logic (?) being that the extended family appear to have been born, died, resided at married all within ASTON and/or BIRMININGHAM. I also restricted his name to William (no middle name) as one was not indicated on his baptism or the 1841 Census.

So the possibilities are:

2.1 William HAYNES aged 47 years died 1865 M Quarter in Aston Volume 06D page 252
This would mean he was born in 1818. (would his death record show his father's name?)

2.2 William HAYNES aged 62 years died in 1889 S Quarter in Aston Volume 06D page 146.
This would mean he was born in 1827. I thought maybe his baptism year was used instead of his birth year? (would his death record show his father's name?)

2.3 William HAINES aged 21 years died in 1847 J Quarter in Birmingham Volume 16 page 194.
This would mean he was born in 1826 (possibly 1827). I thought maybe his baptism year was used instead of his birth year? (would his death record show his father's name?). He may (?) have died in the months after being a witness in 1847 at Thomas Haynes and Elizabeth Wakerley's marriage.

3. 1841 Census and William HAINES
My understanding is that in the 1841 Census the ages were rounded down to the nearest multiple of five. He is listed as being 15 years old in 1841 which would indicate that he may have been born between 1822 and 1826. So even in 1841 he is not identifying as being born in 1818 as this would then have been recorded as 20 years old. More questions with no answers? I've attached part of the 1841 census.

4. 1851 Census and a possible William HAYNES at Cheapside, Aston, Warwickshire.

I've attached a copy of this census which appears to only have him on it - I don't have the original and don't know if there were other members in the household???

This one shows a birth year of 1815 Birmingham, Warwickshire. He is listed as married, head of the household and a clerk???? (given he only marked an "x" when he witnessed his brother's marriage this may not work or maybe he learnt to read and write after 1847)

His father is showing as residing at Cheapside in then 1861 census possibly another link. I need to obtain copies of rates books for the area for 1851 to 1861 to see when Benjamin HAYNES/HAINES (his father) started residing there. Can anyone help out with rates books?

5. I need some help with further marriage details for the following weddings of his step sister and step brother both whom he lived with as per 1841 Census. My logic (?) is that maybe this will show him as a witness? I don't have copies of the original documents.

5.1 Step sister's wedding
Mary Maria BRIDGENS who married a Cornelius JEFFERIES on 09/05/1853 at Saint Mark, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. Father: Samuel Bridgens. Spouse's father: Thomas Jeffries.

5.2 Step brother's wedding
A Joseph BRIDGENS married an Sarah BETTS on 25/08/1844 at St Phillip's Cathedral, Birmingham, Warwick, England. Father's name: Samuel Bridgens. Spouse's father: John Betts.

Any help, different ideas or strains of logic that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

Offline Chev

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 March 18 07:38 BST (UK) »

Hi solid rock, I think we both posted at similar times (funny). That's interesting information on John HAINES - maybe a possibility. I will have a look at it and see if I can make it fit. How do I find probate information? (it appears thus far my lot were not flush with beanies - so maybe probate did not apply...)

Maybe they weren't married ..... JOHN HAINES AND Susanna X ?

I will have a look at it and see if I can make it fit.

Incredibly addictive!