Author Topic: George Dean, Baptised 17th of July 1602 in Harbrough.  (Read 1101 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Dean, Baptised 17th of July 1602 in Harbrough.
« on: Wednesday 28 March 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

I went to the Lincolnshire Archives yesterday to have a look at a book about my Dean ancestors.
The book, which has a long title is called this:
" George Milson Thompson of Keelby part one. George Dean and Alexander Milson 1565-1846.

Reference Name R Box L.929.2 MIL/APP

Author: Appleby, David Hamilton

Publication Date: 1989

Publisher: The author

Type: Pamphlet

Repository: Foster Library [Lincolnshire Archives]":
https://www.lincstothepast.com/George-Milson-Thompson-of-Keelby-part-one--George-Dean-and-Alexander-Milson-1565-1846-/601017.record?pt=S

It describes 5 generations of George Deans from 1565, the first being baptised in Habrough. The fifth George Dean was baptised in 1702 in keelby. The book goes beyond that. But my ancestor was a brother of the fifth George Dean, and his name was Edward 1712 - 1796.

Anyway, George Dean the first married Ursula Wardell in 1594 in Habrough, according to the book. And I have managed to find the original register on "Lincs To The Past" (which I mistakenly transcribed as 1593 but will correct haha!).
What I have been trying to find is the baptism record of George Dean the second. As the title states, and the information I got from the book, he was baptised in Habrough, on the 17th of July 1602.

But looking at the original register on "Lincs To The Past", the baptisms seem to go from 1601 and then to 1604, on this page:
https://www.lincstothepast.com/Habrough-Parish-Records---Marriages--Baptisms---Burials--1595-1605-/780705.record?ImageId=355547&pt=T&tid=503343

I did manage to find and transcribe George's siblings as were stated in the book, if you look on the image pages either side of the above one I have put in the link. Apparently there was also a Thomas, brother of George Dean the second baptised in 1610, and an Edward baptised in 1615.

The book that I saw at the Archives stated that George Dean the first made his Will at Keelby on the 1st of April 1620. It named the children I have stated above in the will, including George Dean the second.
The book also stated that George Dean the first moved from Harbrough to Keelby in 1619, after the death of his father in- law, Edward Wardell. When his father in- law died, George Dean the first took over the Keelby farm of Edward Wardell, and George the first also had his farm in Habrough.
Both of these farms be seen in the Inventory of George Dean the first here:
https://www.lincstothepast.com/Inventory---Deane--George--1619-1620--------/1384971.record?pt=S

Anyway, I apologise for waffling on. It is clear that George Dean the first (1565-1620), was the father of George Dean the second (1602-1668), because he mentioned him and his siblings in his will. However, it would just be nice to view the original baptism record.
I do not subscribe to Ancestry, but have a tree on there. And eight other trees on there apparently have the date and place (1602 in Habrough) for George Dean the second in the "hints section".
Because I do not subscribe I cannot view these other trees to take a look at them.

Any information will be gratefully accepted.

Thank you very much.  :)  ;)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: George Dean, Baptised 17th of July 1602 in Harbrough.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
Free Ancestry weekend coming up over Easter so you might be able to see something then.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Free Ancestry weekend coming up over Easter so you might be able to see something then.

Pheno

Oh great! Thanks for that.  :) ;)

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
Apologies if you know this, but you only mention two other baptisms.

There were other children of George in Habrough - Elizabeth on 20th Jul 1594, Agnes on 14th Nov 1596, Jenett 1st Sep 1599, Katherina on 9th May 1605 and Anna on 6th Feb 1607.

There are several marriages in Keelby of people with similar names - Geny, George. Katheren and Thomas

David

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Apologies if you know this, but you only mention two other baptisms.

There were other children of George in Habrough - Elizabeth on 20th Jul 1594, Agnes on 14th Nov 1596, Jenett 1st Sep 1599, Katherina on 9th May 1605 and Anna on 6th Feb 1607.

There are several marriages in Keelby of people with similar names - Geny, George. Katheren and Thomas

David

Thanks very much.
Yes I knew about the other baptisms. I found them on "Lincs To The Past." Cheers.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Having had a think about it, the date of baptism in the book is very specific for George Dean.
I am thinking that the author of the book may have got that baptism date from the Habrough Bishop's Transcripts.
I suppose it may be possible that some entries in the BT's may not be in the parish registers and vice versa?
It is definitely not in the parish registers.

Thank you.  :)