Author Topic: Mary Lavery Law : born abt 1891  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Mary Lavery Law : born abt 1891
« on: Wednesday 28 March 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I'm a bit stumped trying to find where and when Mary was born and what happened to her after she married in 1924 ... hence this vague post  ::)

Captain John Douglas Taylor (her husband) was born 28 Oct 1894 in Stanley House, South Avenue, Govan, Lanarkshire, and died 21 Jul 1950 at sea.  He married Mary on 14 May 1924 in St Mary's Roman Catholic Chapel, Pollockshields, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, daughter of James Law and Mary Lavery.  Her age is given as 33 - so was born abt. 1891.

The 1924 Register of Marriage shows their marriage was conducted after Publication according to the Forms of the Roman Catholic Church by Fr. John F. Stuart, R.C. Clergyman, St Mary's Church, Pollockshields.  Witnesses were Cuthbert McKirdy, 27 Kirkwood Street, Rutherglen and Martha Law, Clerwood, Uddingston. Mary's occupation, in May 1924, was Mercantile Clerk and her address given as 9 Walton Street, Glasgow, Lanarkshire.  Both parents are shown as Deceased.

I'm in the hands of the RootsChatters yet again!

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Lavery Law : born abt 1891
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
On the marriage certificate did it name her mother as Mary Law m.s. Lavery? If not then she would have been unmarried. When Mary was born she may have been registered under her mother's surname or father's.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
On the marriage certificate did it name her mother as Mary Law m.s. Lavery? If not then she would have been unmarried. When Mary was born she may have been registered under her mother's surname or father's.
flst

Hi there

Thanks for your response  :)

The Register of Marriage shows:
Father - James Law, Riveter (deceased) : Mother - Mary Law M.S. Lavery (deceased)

I've had a look under both Law and Lavery, the former throwing up more results than I care to meddle with online at ScotlandsPeople  :o   It'll be easier and more cost-effective to have a look next time I go to Edinburgh.  I even tried under Low - just on the off-chance.

Oddly enough, I can't find a 1901 Census north or south of the Border for the family either  ???

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the 1901 census with Martha as the other person on the same page?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 22:39 BST (UK) »
CF, SP is out of action until tomorrow pm. Hopefully new possibilities after then..... ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 March 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the 1901 census with Martha as the other person on the same page?

Hi Forfarian

Good to have you on-board (again) with one of my searches  ;)

Yes, umpteen pages of online Census trawled with all sorts of options but still getting nowhere with this  >:(

Chiad Fhear

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 March 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
CF, SP is out of action until tomorrow pm. Hopefully new possibilities after then..... ::)

Monica

Hi Monica

Thanks for that ... and good to have you on-board as well!  I wasn't aware as I've had no communications from them about a closure.

Chiad Fhear

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:19 BST (UK) »
Given  Martha Law was a witness, have you considered this as an outside possible:

Glaisnock Street, Old Cumnock, Ayrshire

William Smith, 41, coalminer, b. Dalry
and 8 boarders including: 
Mary Law,11, scholar, b. Dumbarton
Martha Law, 10, scholar, b. Ireland
Maggie Law, 8, scholar, b. England
Catherine Law,5, scholar, b. Dumbarton

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Also an 'outside possible maybe'  in 1891

Overburn Terrace, Dumbarton

James Law, 31,Engine Shop Labourer, B. Ireland
Mary Ann, 27, b. Ireland
Mary J, 6**
James, 5
Marie, 3
Daniel, 1

All children b. Dumbarton

These from transcriptions so would need to check ages.

Gadget

** added --- this Mary was a domestic servant in Cardross on the 1901 so not the same as the 1901 one in Ayrshire.

Marie, aged 3 is still with parents in 1901 - now down as Mary.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***