Author Topic: Are Ancestry providing any support?  (Read 853 times)

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Are Ancestry providing any support?
« on: Wednesday 28 March 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Ancestry seem to be using incompetents to handle their support.

Take a couple of incidents I've submitted.

The first was about the long-running failure to reinstate the index to the British Phone Books database.

The only response has been from someone unpaid, saying that the problem was a known one. Others appear to have had a similar response from people with a similar "non-job" description.

Early this month I reported what seemed to me to be simple failures in the formatting used to display details from UK death and marriage registration records. The death entry screen for 1993 onwards has lost the Entry Number, although it is properly displayed in the pop-up shown when you hover over "View Record". Marriage entries from 1994 now only show the first two of the three Reference fields. All these were correctly shown in the past. I explained these situations, and explained that it did not matter which entry you looked at as long as the year was late enough. I explained that the original data for these entries was entirely text-based, and was transferred to Ancestry electronically from the GRO.

A fortnight later I received a reply asking me to provide specific examples. I replied, giving the names of the databases and examples of what to put in which box in the search forms.

Two days later I received a reply asking me to provide actual links rather than instructions. So I provided the URLs for the search results screens, again with explanations of what we currently see and what we OUGHT to see. I also told them that it was worrying that their support staff were unable to use the search form which they expect the rest of us to use.

Today, I received a reply.
"I am sorry for the frustration you have experienced as a result of this.
The records that you have linked are now Text Only. We can raise a query with the contact team to see if we can get the images back, however I cannot estimate a time frame for this to be dealt with. "

It appears that they have completely ignored my original problem report - more than once, because besides reiterating the problem, I ensure that the entire email history is attached each time.

Virtually all the problems I submit relate to their lack of database maintenance - loss of facilities which used to be there and have disappeared. Ancestry really need to do some sort of trend analysis and put more resources where they are needed rather than just sending out endless plugs for their DNA product.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are Ancestry providing any support?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 15:55 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid to say I think you are banging your head against a brick wall on this one. I sent a query on 18 March and finally got a reply on 26 March which I don't think answers my question (still scratting my head on their suggested answer). The money for them seems to be in flogging their useless DNA test which if the rumours of them floating off the company is true makes sense as that is a high revenue earner for them and just what you need to make a public flotation look good.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
I don't know the details (or even whether this is true) but my impression is that Ancestry were struggling financially in 2015/2016/2017. In 2017 they replaced their CEO and got new investors on board.

They currently serve 30 countries and DNA tracking is definitely seen as a growth market (people who don't want to do the genealogy work?). So my guess is that the UK - as one of the 30 countries (the US is undoubtedly by the largest and most profitable) and definitely not a growth market for genealogists - probably has a relatively low priority for support.

From a business perspective it (unfortunately for us) makes sense to channel resources into new products and high growth countries while making sure that existing customers stay on board.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
Andrew, more and more I see that companies either just have a list of FAQs, or even worse, boilerplate answers that they use, even when totally irrelevant.  I don't think half of them even read the first email.  Even worse are companies with no email address on their website, or those who send 'no reply@....' replies.  The only company I rate highly for service is Amazon.  Click on the CALL ME Link (if you can find it!) and your phone rings before you release the mouse.  I suppose that's where their tax money goes!

Martin