Author Topic: Emily Johnson (Factory Worker) Trying to find information on where she worked.  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Good morning everyone,

My ancestor Emily Johnson (misspelled Johnston on her death certificate) an orphan who lived with her paternal Aunt Bridget Johnson Byrne and her husband Stephen Byrne at 8 Ashley Street in Banbridge, Co. Down was listed as a “Factory Worker” on her death certificate. She sadly died at 15 on August 1, 1913 in Banbridge after a short life filled with such heartbreaking tragedies.

Where do you suggest I try to locate any information in regards to where she might have worked as a “Factory Worker” in Banbridge? I’m hoping that there might be documents or photos relating to the brief time she spent as a “Factory Worker”.

Many thanks for any help that you can offer me!
Claddagh
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Cavan, Ireland: Kiernan
Co. Sligo, Ireland: McGowan

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

London, England:  Smith/Smyth
Scotland: McGoun

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Johnson (Factory Worker) Trying to find information on where she worked.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 16:53 BST (UK) »
What year is her death?
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Emily Johnson (Factory Worker) Trying to find information on where she worked.
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Cwellan CoDown,

Emily Catherine Johnson died of Tuberculosis Peritonitis on August 1, 1913 in Banbridge, Co. Down. Her surname is listed as "Johnston".

Many thanks!
Claddagh
Dunlavin, Co. Wicklow, Ireland:  Johnson, Donnelly, Lenhan/Lennan/Lennon, Heydon/Hayden

Co. Tyrone, Ireland: Brogan, Curran, McBride, McDade, McDaid, McFadden, McFaiden, Nolan

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 17:13 BST (UK) »
I believe this is the family she lived with when she died

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Banbridge_East_Urban/Ashley_Street/206178/

Note - that the wife/mother who is Emilys Aunt is from Wicklow, so Emily could have been living in wicklow in 1911

There are 2 Emily's in schools in Belfast in 1911, aged 11
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
There is an Emily aged 2 living with her Grandmother in wicklow in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Dunlavin/Toberbeg/1808674/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
she might not have worked as a “Factory Worker” in Banbridge  !!

Offline Claddagh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone!

Emily Catherine Johnson was born in London, England.

Her father James Johnson was born in Dunlavin, Co. Wickow.

Her mother Emily Smith/Smyth might have been born in Ireland or London, England. I am working on that and might have found her parents Frederick Smyth and Elizabeth Pakenham. If these are her parents, she was born in Ireland. I believe that she was a Protestant (her husband was a Catholic) and we were told that she was disowned because she married outside her faith. It would explain why Emily's parents/family never stepped in to help Emily Catherine.

In 1901 she lived with her paternal grandmother Catherine Donnelly Johnson.

In 1909 she was brought to live at Nazareth House Ormeau Road in Belfast and lived there until 1911-1912. It says "Boarding School" in the 1911 Census but I don't think that it was. She was Catholic and both her parents and her grandmother had died by 1909. I find this information so devastating. She must have been such a resilient child. I feel for her.

In October of 1912 she wrote a letter to her brother in Canada and the address she gave was her Aunt Bridget's (8 Ashley Street, Co. Down).

What a tragic life's journey!

hallmark - If she was living with her Aunt in Banbridge, would she not be working in Banbridge?

Is there a database somewhere that would have information about "Factory Workers"?

Claddagh

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 17:48 BST (UK) »

hallmark - If she was living with her Aunt in Banbridge, would she not be working in Banbridge?

Is there a database somewhere that would have information about "Factory Workers"?

Claddagh

I didn't know how long she was in Banbridge for before she died!