Author Topic: Alfred COCKS  (Read 2062 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred COCKS
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
3 Broadway is in Cowbridge and is on FindMyPast's 1939 Register which identifies:

Albert L. Cocks born 10/05/1886
Elizabeth Cocks 28/08/1892
Horace Cocks 29/07/1917
Florence Bevan (Cocks) 10/02/1920
Albert 28/11/1924
George 10/06/1926
Barbara Bush (Cocks) 31/07/1928:   I cannot understand this entry as she was only 11 and
                                                        obviously not married

My father, Alfred, at this stage was in the RAF but, sadly, I cannot find his records at the following:
https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk

Tony Cocks

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
The register was updated until the early 1980s and married names were added (great help!).
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry keyboard86, I overlooked confirming that my father's Marriage Certificate shows Albert Longfellow COCKS as his father.   This MUST mean that some form of adoption took place, although officially such a procedure was not available before 1928 nor were Affiliation Orders.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:55 BST (UK) »
Where is 3 Broadway? When were they there?

1939 Elizabeth Cocks 1892 in Cowbridge
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 March 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi if for instance the illegitimate birth of William John Thomas is correct, then it just looks like George Miller looked upon him as a son, he was baptised as a Miller at 7, Robert Street, was George his father?
Keyboard86

PS the 1939 for Barbara will show her both as Cocks and the surname she was married into!?

Keyboard86

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 March 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Where is 3 Broadway? When were they there?

1939 Elizabeth Cocks 1892 in Cowbridge
Keyboard86

Hi Keyboard86, i saw the 1939 register last night but forgot the address and it’s not mentioned in this topic so i lost track 🙄
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:14 BST (UK) »
I'll just mention this thought before I climb the stairs with my candle.   Would a DNA Test prove any advantage and, if so, which "Provider"?   Several of the descendants of the COCKS line have done so and from what I gather the results have been persuasive, although, of course, not absolute.    I ask you purely as independent correspondents.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 March 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
Tony, can you give us your thoughts on my posts 13/14/16 and 22 please?
Keyboard86

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 March 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello keyboard86,

It seems that officially evidence of my father's parentage is not to be found.

However, since embarking on research of my family I have been introduced to relatives I had never previously encountered, one of whom lives in British Columbia and whose Grandmother for the sake of argument is my father's eldest sister, and also Elizabeth MILLER's illegitimate daughter who took the COCKS patronym.   He has just completed an Ancestry DNA test and I have decided to follow suit.   This could establish a bloodline and then on the balance of probabilities it could be assumed Albert Longfellow COCKS was, indeed, my Grandfather.   It seems the only way out of the current impasse.   I appreciate this type of DNA testing is at a very early stage and, of course, accuracy may be questionable, but there seems no other recourse.

Thank you for all your help..........Elizabeth (Bessie) MILLER is now fairly documented.

For the moment,

Tony Cocks