Author Topic: Alfred COCKS  (Read 2064 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred COCKS
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
Good Evening Everyone,

Thank you for all the information which I shall review tomorrow morning and then reply.

For now,

Tony Cocks

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Can’t say i’ve heard 30a Cowbridge Rd called the infectious diseases hospital before.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 March 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Looks like Albert was from the Roath area too. Found a school (Stacey Rd) admission giving same date of birth as 1939 register.

And this Albert had a number of siblings including Florence, Horace and Beatrice.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 March 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for replying to my enquiry.   I am very grateful.   

First there are two specific aspects I would like to answer:

(1):     Albert Longfellow Cocks and Elizabeth COCKS (nee MILLER) had the following children, excluding my father, of course (?);  Beatrice (1913), Joseph (1915), Horace (1917), Florence (1920), Harry (1922), Albert (1924), George (1926), Barbara (1928), Joan (1931) and Irene (1934):  Some of these I knew from my days in the 1950's as a pupil at Cowbridge Grammar School;

(2):    The Infectious Diseases Hospital had several names, Crossways Hospital, Cowbridge Isolation Hospital and presently St. David's Hospital.   The frontispiece to the 1911 Wales Census identifies 30A Cowbridge Road as the Infectious Diseases Hospital (Reference: RG14/32164, ED: 32-33).

At the time of Alfred MILLER's birth his mother, named on the registration as Bessie MILLER, had been living at 4 Daniel Street, Cardiff, and had been employed as a Domestic Servant.   

I am reluctant to believe that the circumstances of my father's birth may never be fully explained.  I am just glad he was born!!!

For now,

Tony Cocks

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 March 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Everyone,

Thank you for replying to my enquiry.   I am very grateful.   

First there are two specific aspects I would like to answer:

(1):     Albert Longfellow Cocks and Elizabeth COCKS (nee MILLER) had the following children, excluding my father, of course (?);  Beatrice (1913), Joseph (1915), Horace (1917), Florence (1920), Harry (1922), Albert (1924), George (1926), Barbara (1928), Joan (1931) and Irene (1934):  Some of these I knew from my days in the 1950's as a pupil at Cowbridge Grammar School;

(2):    The Infectious Diseases Hospital had several names, Crossways Hospital, Cowbridge Isolation Hospital and presently St. David's Hospital.   The frontispiece to the 1911 Wales Census identifies 30A Cowbridge Road as the Infectious Diseases Hospital (Reference: RG14/32164, ED: 32-33).

At the time of Alfred MILLER's birth his mother, named on the registration as Bessie MILLER, had been living at 4 Daniel Street, Cardiff, and had been employed as a Domestic Servant.   

I am reluctant to believe that the circumstances of my father's birth may never be fully explained.  I am just glad he was born!!!

For now,

Tony Cocks
Hi just to let you know, at 4, Daniel Street at the time Bessie was in the Isolation hospital were:-

Mary Ann Miller 38
Arthur 13
Thomas Charles 11
Violet May 7
Edward George 6
4, Daniel Street, Cathays, Cardiff

Birth registration Violet May Miller March qtr 1904 Cardiff 11a 421 mmn Thomas

In 1891 a couple to look into, considering Mary A gives Maesteg on 1911, and address in 1901 census

George Miller 20 b Cowbridge
Mary A 21
William 7 days
Residing at 7, Robert Street, Roath
Census ref RG12/4385/109/41

I have located baptisms for parents George/Mary/Mary Ann at 7, Robert Street, 63, Adeline Street, and 159, Woodville Road 22nd November 1892 ( Elizabeth)
Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 March 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again, then you have the missing George from 1901 census at:-

James Thomas 57 Widow b Little Haven
Martha 35 Daughter b Maesteg
Thomas C 24 Son b Maesteg
George Miller 38 Son in Law b Cowbridge
William J Miller 9 b Cardiff
Residing at 39, Margaret Street, Pontygwaith, Pontypridd
Census ref RG13/5001/64/9

A birth registration of a William John Thomas June qtr 1891 Cardiff 11a 322 No Mothers maiden name.
Keyboard86

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
keyboard86,

Thank you for the information, albeit I think I am becoming a little confused.

If I understand your posts I believe you are confirming that Bessie MILLER was probably Elizabeth MILLER (my father's putative mother) and that her parents were George and Mary Ann MILLER (nee THOMAS).   How my father fits into this pattern as far as paternity is concerned is the problem, although Cowbridge seems to be germane to the whole situation........that is, on the assumption Elizabeth (Bessie) MILLER later COCKS lived there at 3 Broadway with the rest of my father's brothers and sisters.

My problem is that I am so close to the problem "I cannot see the wood for the trees", so to speak, and probably need a detached person, such as yourself, for instance, to draw the correct conclusions.

Thank you once again,

Tony Cocks

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
 :) I do understand, the chance of locating his father is pretty slim, who does Alfred give as his father at marriage, in a similar fashion I have next to zero chances of locating the father of the William John aged 7 days in 1891 census!

I have only gone on the date of birth of Elizabeth Cocks in 1939 and Bessie 1911 and baptism 1892 to George/Mary, and 4, Daniel Street in 1911?!
Keyboard86

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Where is 3 Broadway? When were they there?