Author Topic: Gilbert Welch  (Read 4114 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilbert Welch
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 June 18 21:28 BST (UK) »
"Beatrix Welsh or Park" died in rather mysterious circumstances. Her death-certificate is dated December 12th 1867, and she died "In or near Howdenburn and at a part thereof at or near the Garden occupied by George Knox Stockingmaker Howdenburn in the parish of Wilton."

Her age was given as 70 (obviously a guess), she had been attended by a local GP, Dr. McLeod, and the cause of death was "Heart Disease combined with Dropsy". The death was registered on information from the Procurator Fiscal. It seems the Welshes were fated to have dealings with Procurators Fiscal (public prosecutors).

Harry

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Harry,
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I have been away for 10 days, and only arrived back late yesterday afternoon. Thank you so much for the information of Beatrix. I can now add that information to my tree. I always wanted to have Scottish Blood in me, and now thanks to the Welsh connection, I have. Bev

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 13:13 BST (UK) »
My wife and I are just back too, from a week's holiday in Menorca, and I'm catching up with a backlog of 24 emails!

Harry

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
Mine was a visit to the Hospital in our capital, Brisbane. I have a lot of problems with skin cancers, having fair skin and did have red hair in my younger days, and spent all my time in the sun on the beach, and I have found out in later life that fair skin and sun do not mix. Thankfully the results were fine, but I have to go back in September for another review. I get "withdrawal" symptoms when I can't access my computer, and look for names. Bev

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
What you say resonates with me, as I was red-headed when younger and burn very easily in the sun. My face is currently the reddest it has been for years. I keep away from beaches and don't sunbathe.

I have a physiotherapy appointment every three weeks or so and my last physio, who sadly has now moved on, was from Brisbane. We get lots of young Aussie physios over here but they like to go travelling and don't stay in one place for long. My wife used to go to a gym called Curves, very popular with ladies of a certain age round here, and the trainer she worked with there came from Townsville, Qld.

Harry

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
Gosh what a small world. I live in a place called Hervey Bay, Fraser Island is just off the coast from here. My mother was born in Northumberland, and my father came from London. I was born in a small country town called Mundubbera here in Queensland. There was 5 living children of their marriage, Joyce born in 1923 in London, Dennis 1925 in Mundubbera, Keith 1927 in Charleville, [he was a twin, the other twin, Allen died in 1927, Me, Beverley 1939 Mundubbera, and Adrian 1942 in Mundubbera. There is a Curves here in Hervey Bay and is very popular. Bev

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
One of my long-term correspondents lives in Mackay, Queensland, and she's a Bev too.

Harry

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 June 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the Wanted notice about our ancestor Thomas Welsh says he had "hair of a reddish brown". There is no red hair on my father's side of the family but plenty on my mum's side, and that's the branch of the family that had Thomas Welsh as an ancestor. I have cousins with red hair.

It's interesting to get physical descriptions of your ancestors. You're more likely to get that kind of information if they blotted their copybook and were "advertised" in the newspapers like Thomas Welsh, but men who served in the armed forces or went to the whaling also had their physical appearance noted down in the relevant records.

Harry

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 June 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
Morning, Harry,
My red hair and fair skin , I think came from my father's side, as I was told by one of my aunties that grandma's mother had the loveliest auburn curly hair. She was born in Somerset. Mum's was more brown than red, but I know very little about her family I do have 3 cousins on the Hall side still alive, but none of them have been bitten by the ancestry bug.When I cam to England in 2007, I met second cousins I did not know existed in Northumberland. My research has been a long journey but I am slowly getting a bit more every now and then. My gr Grandfather, William Hall who married Margaret Phillis Elizabeth Parker it is through her that my Welsh connection comes from, was from what I can gather a rogue, he was a policeman before and a short time after they married, then he became an Innkeeper, then a tram car driver in Newcastle on Tyne. In 1881 I found him in Prison, then in 1891 and 1901 and again 1911, he was in a Lunatic Asylum. I lost track of him after 1915, as he was transferred to another Asylum in Sunderland. My grandfather, their son, Robert Nicholas Hall abandoned his wife pregnant with the 4th child in the Workhouse in Hexham,. In 1909she disappeared leaving the 4 children behind. Story had been she and the Master of the Workhouse had left, but he was still there in 1911, however it turns out he was the father of the 3 girls born one, I in 1910 another a couple of years later, and then a third. the first 2 were registered as Hall, but the last one was Newton, the name of the Master. His wife had died by then so she could do that. They knew nothing of the first family and it came as a very big shock to both them and myself when I found reference and a photo of Margaret Ann Hall nee Bird on Ancestry, it was like looking at my mother. I wrote to the person who had put it on, at first he was sceptical as were the children of the other 2 girls but when I started giving details they had to accept the facts. My mother always said her parents had died when she was a little girl and she was raised by a lady in Corbridge. My mother never spoke of her childhood and when I asked my 2 cousins [the other cousin didn't want to meet me], they both said their fathers never spoke of their childhood either. Is there a way we can correspond vial email at all? Bev.