Author Topic: Thomas Liddle and Hannah Ridsdale  (Read 1738 times)

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Liddle and Hannah Ridsdale
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Can anyone find a marriage between this pair?

Thomas Liddle (born Matthew Thomas Liddle, but was seemingly known as just 'Thomas' Liddle), and Hannah Ridsdale.

Thomas was born c1855 in Trimdon, County Durham and Hannah was born c1857 in Carlton, Yorkshire.

Their first child, George, was born c1877 in Castle Eden, Durham.

They appear together on the 1881 census with George and a daughter, Jessie, born c1880 - also in the household was Hannah's mother, Mary Ridsdale.

After Thomas' death Hannah remarried to a Thomas Pashley - listing herself as a widow, but finding evidence of her first marriage has proved impossible.

Thanks

Sue

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Liddle and Hannah Ridsdale
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:19 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I think Thomas and Hannah could have had an earlier child,

Mary Jane LIDDLE    Mar Q 1876    Durham    10a  439      
mmn:  RIDSDALE   

I think she died very young,

Mary Jane LIDDLE    Mar Q 1876    Durham    10a  218

but still no sign of their marriage.

Regards,
Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi it is possible that Hannah was baptised as Elizabeth Ann Ridsdale 16th April 1857 Helmsley address Carlton, Father John Mother Mary, her parents married 20th August 1853 Helmsley John Ridsdale to Mary Jane Moon.
In 1861 census Elizabeth Ann is Hannah Elizth aged 4 with parents/siblings/ Grandfather George Moon
Census ref RG09/3637/37/7

Does not help with marriage though!!

EDIT If you do not have the marriage certificate how do you know "He was born Matthew Thomas Liddle but was seemingly known as just Thomas"?

When/Where did the widowed Hannah Liddle marry Thomas Pashley, I can see a Hannah Elizabeth Ridsdale marrying a Thomas PAISLEY in 1923?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for latest of reply!!

Hannah indeed married Thomas Paisley (Pashley) in 1923; she claimed to be widowed when she did so.

I was asked to check for a marriage by a lady at work, who is related to Thomas and Hannah and, I believe, has Thomas' birth certificate which names him as Matthew Thomas Liddle.

By the look of it, if they did marry, it was between 1871 and 1876, but when is a mystery.

Thanks both for your interest and a Happy Easter!

Sue

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 April 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi again, sorry I fail to understand, if the father cannot at present be located for a marriage of a "Thomas"  Liddle to Hannah Ridsdale c 1873, how a birth certificate c 1855 of a Matthew Thomas Liddle who suddenly decides to omit using his forename and from thereon starts calling himself Thomas is proof that the Thomas who lived with Hannah is correct?
Keyboard86

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 April 18 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi

Sorry for confusion!
I'm not familiar with the family as a couple from Yorkshire came into work asking about the family as the lady is directly related to them, but couldn't find their marriage.
As the census show, they ended up in Sunderland, which is why she came to us. That's where I'm based.

I'm assuming that she knows all about the couple as one of their children is her direct ancestor, and, it was she that told me that although Thomas was born 'Matthew Thomas', he used the name 'Thomas' normally.

Sorry for confusion!

Sue

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 April 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I would love to have knowledge of that birth certificate, as I cannot locate a birth 1851/61 of a Matthew Thomas Liddle, Stockton area?  their is a Matthew LIDDELL March qtr 1855 Stockton 10a 88 mmn CURRY
Keyboard86

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 April 18 23:46 BST (UK) »
When/Where did the widowed Hannah Liddle marry Thomas Pashley, I can see a Hannah Elizabeth Ridsdale marrying a Thomas PAISLEY in 1923?

Hannah indeed married Thomas Paisley (Pashley) in 1923; she claimed to be widowed when she did so.

Sorry if I'm being dim here (happens a lot!), but if she was the widow of Thomas Liddle then surely she would have married as Liddle & not Ridsdale?  If she claimed to be a widow, do we know who she named as her father?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 April 18 00:22 BST (UK) »
The 1881 census has Thomas as born Moorsley, Durham around 1847.  That's quite a specific place, and in 1851 there is this family with a son named Thomas born 1845 Moorsley.

Dyke Row, Durham, St Giles - HO107/2391/213/39
George Liddell 39 Coalminder b Northumberland
Margaret 37 Stanhope, Durham
Rachael 9 b Shadforth, Durham
Thomas 6 b Moorsley
Barbara Cairns 32 visitor b Newburn, Northumberland

These seem to be the children's births:

LIDDELL, RACHEL  mmn  WESTGARTH  1842  M Quarter in DURHAM AND LANCHESTER  Vol 24  Page 84

LIDDLE, THOMAS  mmn WESTGARTH 1844  D Quarter in HOUGHTON-LE SPRING UNION  Volume 24  Page 162

Baptisms at Shadforth:
6 Feb 1842 Rachel d/o George & Margaret, Coal Miner, Running Waters
29 Dec 1844 Thomas s/o George & Margaret, Coal Miner, Ludworth

ADDED: Now I'm more confused than ever, as it looks like this Thomas becomes a blacksmith & by 1881 is married to Elizabeth & has a daughter named Rachel, so not the man you're after.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.