Author Topic: Thomas Liddle and Hannah Ridsdale  (Read 1733 times)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Liddle and Hannah Ridsdale
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 April 18 00:52 BST (UK) »
 ;D Good to see others are having problems with this "Matthew Thomas Liddle" b TRIMDON, who was better known as Thomas, as reference a Hannah E Paisley b abt 1857 died Sept qtr 1937 Easington 10a 339 aged 80 and a Thomas Paisley b abt 1857 March qtr 1928 Easington aged 71
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

Me again! The lady who asked if I could find a marriage between Thomas and Hannah left me an email address, so I'll try and get more concrete information from her!

Hannah married Thomas Paisley as Hannah Liddle (a widow), not as Hannah Ridsdale.

Also the 1911 census reveals she and Thomas Liddle had been 'married' for 38 years, so 1873 would be the year (or thereabouts), that they married, if indeed they did!

Thanks

Sue

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 02 April 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
Just to say that the Durham County Indexes are often worth looking at as well as the Groindex when it comes to a second marriage.Searching for a marriage in the Durham County Index for Liddle, Hannah in 1923 shows other index entries for this marriage as Paisley, Thomas and Ridsdale, Hannah.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 April 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
The record showing Matthew Thomas Liddel might be a baptism transcript  on familysearch of
Matthew Thomas Liddell
s/o Matthew and Catherine
4 April 1855
Durham

The person making the original enquiry may have this information already, but it looks to me that Matthew and Catherine are Matthew Liddell born Hallgarth, Durham c1817 and Catherine Curry born Easington c1817.
Catherine married John Gibson at Easington in 1843, and Matthew Liddell in 1846, also in Easington.  The family, including a 5 year old child named John Gibson are recorded in Sunderland Lane Workhouse, Houghton le Spring  in 1851.

So the birth that Keyboard86 found of Matthew Liddell with Mmn Curry would seem to match this family. The 1861 census shows them in East Rainton, Houghton le Spring with a child named George born c1857 in Sunderland.  There is a corresponding birth registered in Sunderland June Q 1857 of a Matthew George Liddell Mmn Curry.

In 1871 Catherine Liddell and Thomas, George and a younger daughter Maria are in Shotton. Catherine describes herself as married, but has filled the occupation column with Husband deserted his wife.

None of which helps to find the marriage of Thomas and Hannah, but I think this might be the right man.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 April 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
 :) Now that looks good, wonder why ( If correct), Hannah is called Maria aged 34 in 1891 census born Carlton, Helmsley, with RICHDALE relatives including her brother Elijah aged 28? shown as Brother in Law
1891 census RG12/4105/54/4
1871 Census for Hannah E/Elijah RG10/4964/9/12
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 April 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to add to this.
The lady concerned as just emailed me with:

Hannah remarried Thomas Paisley at the parish church of Shotton 19.05.1923 and is down as a widow dad John Ridsdale ( deceased )

Hannah died 10.07 1937.

I do not actually have the birth certificate for Thomas ,( Matthew Thomas ) but I have in my work what i believe to be correct Matthew Thomas Liddle son of Matthew and Catherine 04.04.1855 Trimdon.

Sue