Author Topic: Cape Mounted Police South Africa  (Read 2527 times)

Offline mikesel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cape Mounted Police South Africa
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder whether anyone on here might be able to help me.

I am researching Alexander McTAVISH, who, according to family history emigrated to South Africa sometime around 1880 to 1885 following a family argument.

We know that he married a South African woman, Annie Nellie JORDAN, (who was born in Winterburg, Cape Colony around 1873), sometime prior to 1890, as they had 2 children together in 1890 and 1891, both children being born in Queenstown.

Further family history is that Alexander was a mounted police officer and as Queenstown was the HQ for 5 District Cape Mounted Police, it is possible that he was a member of the Cape Mounted Police.

To date I have not been able to confirm whether this is correct and am wondering whether anyone knows whether service records for the Cape Mounted Rifles survived and if so how I might be able to search them to see if I can find  Alexander?

Of interest is that in November 1901, Annie was in England where she re married, her status on the wedding certificate being shown as widow. This indicates that Alexander would have died prior to 1901. Possibly coincidentally, her 2nd husband, William JOHNSTON had served in the British Royal Artillery in South Africa from 1899 to 1901.

Thank you in anticipation

Mike

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cape Mounted Police South Africa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
There's a service record in the Transvaal archives https://goo.gl/hEBmnL
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 March 18 16:48 BST (UK) »
Looking at the South Africa Medal rolls, there is an A Mctavish (395) in A Division, South African Constabulary. Clasps for Cape Colony, Orange Free State, and Transvaal. Discharged 30/9/01.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 March 18 18:17 BST (UK) »

There are a number of Alexander McTavish's on our archives.  Could you give us a little more information, such as his parents names or those of his children, it would help to narrow it down.  The Death Notices from that far back don't always list the spouse's name.

From the date of the Service record it would seem he may have served in the Anglo Boer War.  You would have to order it from the archives as they are not online.

Sue
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 March 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
The passenger list for the Kinfauns Castle arrived Southampton on 19 July 1901 includes the following family, travelling from Natal:

A McTavish 26 occupation: wife
EW[? hard to read] a girl aged 8
RG a boy aged 8

Is that Annie and children?

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 18 09:41 BST (UK) »
I found this, not sure if it is your Alexander but worth taking a look:

http://www.ancestors.co.za/database/member/constabulary-view.php?q=6113

Just tried the link and it won't take you to the info if you're not signed in.  It is free www.ancestors.co.za then go to database and search Constabulary just enter his name.
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline mikesel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thank you for getting back to me. Unfortunately, I am still trying to track down Alexander's parents and all I know with any certainty is that he married Annie Nellie JORDAN in South Africa probably somewhere around 1890 and had 2 children, Ellen Martha McTAVISH, born at Queenstown, Cape Colony 12/05/1890 and Robert John McTAVISH born 28/11/1891 also at Queenstown.

At the moment, my theory is that Alexander died sometime before 1900 and Annie Nellie met her future second husband William MITCHELL, who was serving in the Royal Artillery during the Second Boer War either before or after Alexander died. He was from Bristol in the UK and as Annie has no apparent link to the UK it seems to point to the fact that she and her 2 children followed him back to the UK to marry and start a 'new life'.

Family history is that Annie was from a Boer family and in the circumstances at the time, is it possible that she 'anglicised' her name to become more acceptable when she arrived in the UK?  On her UK Marriage certificate she gave her father's details as John Peter JORDAN, (Deceased) who had been a farmer.

Once again thank you for your help and best regards

Mike

There are a number of Alexander McTavish's on our archives.  Could you give us a little more information, such as his parents names or those of his children, it would help to narrow it down.  The Death Notices from that far back don't always list the spouse's name.

From the date of the Service record it would seem he may have served in the Anglo Boer War.  You would have to order it from the archives as they are not online.

Sue

Offline mikesel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

Thank you so much for all you help. I have got a few more leads to work on now and I am sure I will be able to track him down!!

Best regards

Mike

Offline mikesel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun

Maybe I am being rabbit dense, but do you know whether is it possible to access the SA archive files online?

Best regards

mike
There's a service record in the Transvaal archives https://goo.gl/hEBmnL