Author Topic: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)  (Read 2603 times)

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
Good afternoon and thank you in advance for any help that can be given.

My ggg grandfather is William Patterson and I have the following facts about him:
b. about 1814 (Durham) based on the 1881 census when he was living at 78 Regent St, Myton, Hull
1868 was living in Myton, Hull based on his son Arthur Barrington Patterson's birth cert
1868 was an engineer of a steam boat (same source)
1881 census also shows that he was a marine engineer
1890 On his son Arthur's marriage certificate William is shown as an Engineer (deceased)
1903 On his son Arthur's second marriage certificate William is shown as an Engineer

From previous help that I have had on Rootschat (thank you Ciderdrinker) it would seem that in 1871 William and Eliza were living at 183 Regent Street, Myton but were not there for the night, instead Eliza's sister was looking after the household.

I would be grateful for any help in tracking down / confirming whereabouts of William in 1841-1861 and if he and Eliza can be found anywhere else in 1871. 
I think 1841 might be Piece 829 / Book 25 / Folio 11 / Page 16 (Son)
I think 1851 might be Piece 1992 / Folio 209 / Page 17 (Lodger)
I can't find anything for 1861

I am hoping that one of these census will have a more specific place in Durham so that I can narrow down his baptism.  Currently, I can find three baptisms for a William Patterson in Durham between 1812-13.  However, if the 1841 census is correct above, then the parents (Christopher / Ann) do not match any of the three baptism parents that I have (Joseph / Eleanor; John / Mary; John / Eleanor).

I am also unable to find William and Eliza's wedding.  I have been using findmypast and ancestry.

Thank you,

Nic
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
According to the GRO site both sons, Charles and Arthur have mmn Barley.
I cannot find a Patterson/Barley marriage but there is this one in 1841

William Patterson/Elizabeth Bartley Dec 1841 Manchester 20 467

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
Ignore that marriage as I have just realised that Eliza wasn't born until 1841.

Is it possible that William was married before. There is a William Patterson in Hull, Holy Trinity in 1841, an Engineer, with wife Mary and other members of the Patterson family
HO107/1232/6/F19 p30

I can't find the family in 1851 but they reappear in 1861 living at 4 Chapel Court, Holy Trinity, Municipal Ward Myton
RG09/3594/F108/p15.

I can't find them after that nor can I find any possible death for Mary.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Marriage

William Patterson, Engineer/Mary Lawton married Hull, Holy Trinity 21 July 1835. Witnesses Thomas Dornan Mary Herron

Emeltom

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 March 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Emeltom - your kind help is much appreciated.

Is it possible that William was married before. There is a William Patterson in Hull, Holy Trinity in 1841, an Engineer, with wife Mary and other members of the Patterson family
HO107/1232/6/F19 p30
Did you mean 1231 rather than 1232?  If so, Wiiliam is recorded as born in this county (York) rather than in Durham (although Y/N isnt always accurate).
I can't find the family in 1851 but they reappear in 1861 living at 4 Chapel Court, Holy Trinity, Municipal Ward Myton
RG09/3594/F108/p15.
This one looks promising and gives me a lead to follow up on second marriage which must be between 1861 (census) and 1868 (son Arthur Barrington being born).
Thank you again,
Nic

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
1871 census, North Quay London Dock, vessel "Lumsden"
On the list of officers and crew :
William Paterson, married, 55, Engineer, b. Durham, Durham,
Eliza Paterson, married, 34, Engineers Wife, b. Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.

Alan
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 March 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
There's a very long article describing the enquiry regarding the loss of this steamer. 

THE LOSS OF THE STEAMER LUMSDEN, OF HULL .
The Hull Packet and East Riding Times (Hull, England), Friday, September 27, 1878; Issue 4858. British Library Newspapers, Part I: 1800-1900.

William Pattison, chief engineer
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 March 18 10:15 BST (UK) »
If you want to view the rest of the article you need to view on the British Library website on www.galegroup.com

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 March 18 11:08 BST (UK) »
WolfieSmith and Rena - thank you so much!