Author Topic: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)  (Read 2594 times)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 April 18 08:11 BST (UK) »
I think Mary is still alive in 1881, although claiming widowed.

4 Brunswick Place, Myton, Hull,
William H Watkinson, head, mar, 45,
Mary A Watkinson, wife, 42, b. Hull,
Mary Patterson, mother, widow, 65, Marine Engineers wife, b. Hull,
RG11/4774/115/11

William Hudson Watkinson married Mary Ann Patterson (age 25, father - William Patterson). 24 Aug 1864, Hull Holy Trinity.

Mary Ann Patterson, mmn Lawton, born Dec qtr 1838, Kingston upon Hull.

There is an article in the Hull Packet, Aug 15 1856, regarding Mary Pattison verbally assaulting her husband on seeing him in the street at Hull Docks. They had been separated for 5 years and describes William Pattison as Chief Engineer on the steamer Prince.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
Re: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 April 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Emeltom,

I had found that one but was a little hesitant as place of birth is also recorded as Durham (1871) and not always Newcastle in the census.  However, I have found a marriage between Robert Patterson and Eleanor Dunn on 22nd March 1813 which would fit if William was a first or second child.

Edit: I should be able to find a birth for Eleanor Dunn in Kent around 1781 but I can't so she may not be the right one!

I am trying to see if I can found other children that they had and then trace these forwards in the census (no joy!).

Nic
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 April 18 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Alan,

The article made me smile - I could almost picture the scene!

Assuming that she is the correct Mary (which seems very likely), it would explain why I couldn't find her death in the 1860s.  It is interesting that she is recorded as a widow considering William is still alive.  I wonder whether she believed he was indeed dead or whether this was deliberate misinformation as they didn't seem to be on the best of terms?

I am also wondering whether she and William "officially" divorced and whether William "officially" married Eliza.  If they didn't, it would explain why I can't find the end of one marriage and the beginning of the other!

Thank you for your continued help and advice - this is an intriguing (and fun!) one.

Nic

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 02 April 18 13:24 BST (UK) »
Again, thank you to everyone that has helped with piecing together this story.  My latest update after putting everything together is below.  Apologies for putting everything in full here, however, I thought it would be useful if someone else happens to come across the same research. 

It is really just confirming William's birth and his parents.  It seems likely to be Robert and Eleanor but I feel that I need to link her to Deptford somehow.

1814 28th August Newcastle All Saints – there is a baptism for a William to Robert and Eleanor, however, I cannot find a birth / marriage for Robert and Eleanor that would link Eleanor to Deptford, Kent (shown as her birthplace in the 1851 census)
1835 21st July William Patterson (Patteson) married Mary Lawton at Holy Trinity, Hull – downloaded copy of parish marriage (shame there are no ages / parents)
1841 census William is with first wife Mary living at Osborne Street, Holy Trinity, Hull (Engineer) - HO107/1231/6/F19 p30 (recorded as born in same county (i.e. Yorkshire) rather than Durham – downloaded
1851 census, William is with his mother and brother but not his wife and children
1856 – article in Hull packet showing that William and Mary have been separated for 5 years (explains why they are not together in 1851 census).  Article saved from BNA
1861 census William is with first wife Mary living at 4 Chapel Court, Myton (seems to be off Osborne St, their 1841 address) - RG09/3594/F108/p15 - downloaded
1861-1868 Sometime during this period William is no longer married to Mary Lawton and then marries Eliza Barley.  Cannot find a death for Mary Patterson that matches.  I believe that Mary and William never officially divorced, and that Eliza and William never officially married. 
1861 5th November Eliza Barley had a daughter called Linda Dunn Barley (baptised 14th Dec), Wisbech – downloaded baptism
1866 son Charles born – birth cert ordered
1868 son Arthur Barrington born (mmn: Barley) - living at 21 Trinity Street, Myton, Hull (Engineer of a steam boat) – have copy of birth cert
1871 census North Quay London dock, vessel “Lumsden” both William (Engineer) and Eliza (Engineer’s wife) are recorded under the list of officers and crew (correct places of birth) – downloaded
1871 census William and Eliza’s daughter Linda is recorded as Linda D Patterson and is with Charles and Arthur.  They are all living with Eliza’s sister Lucy - downloaded
1878 15th July William was on board the Steamer “Lumsden” as the Chief engineer when it was stranded at Tyboren (Denmark?) on the coast of Jutland while on a voyage from Hull to Cronstadt (possibly St Petersburg?).  This was also the boat that he was on in the 1871 census.  Article downloaded from British Newspaper Archive.
1881 census 78 Regent Street, Myton, Hull (Marine Engineer) – downloaded
1881 crew lists shows that William was on board the “Irwell” sailing between Hull and Danzig.  Downloaded from Maritime History Archive.
1881 census William and Eliza’s daughter is recorded as Linda D Barley and is residing with her aunt, Lucy Barley in Hull. – downloaded
Died 20/08/1882 William Patterson, Engineer, died on board “Milo” (would be 68 yrs old) boat was owned by J Wilson and Sons Co, Hull.  The Lumsden which he was on in 1871-78 was owned by T Wilson, Sons & Co.  Boat was going between Hull and Stettin (Szczecin) in Prussia (modern day Poland).  3 documents downloaded.
1882 Have emailed GRO regarding a death cert. 
5th April 1883.  Have ordered a copy of probate which states he died in Stettin, Prussia.
1889 15th Feb daughter Linda married Thomas Robert Kay in Hull as Linda Dunn Barley but names her father as William Patterson (deceased) engineer. - downloaded
1890 son Arthur Barrington Patterson marriage cert shows William as marine engineer (deceased)
1903 son Arthur Barrington Patterson second marriage cert shows William as engineer

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 02 April 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
What about this one

Eleanor Dunn bapt. 17 July 1786 Deptford parents William and Eleanor

Robert Patterson married Eleanor Dunn Newcastle upon Tyne 1813.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 02 April 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emeltom,

I was looking at that one last night but it was getting late!  In hindsight, I guess that is where William's daughter Linda got her middle name Dunn from!

Nic

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 April 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
As promised, here is the update after receiving a copy of William's will as suggested by Millmoor.

"... the children of my Housekeeper Eliza Barley namely Linda Dunn Barley, Charles King Barley (christened and known as Charles King Patterson), and Arthur Barrington Barley (christened and known as Arthur Barrington Patterson) ...."

This seems to prove that the children were born to William and Eliza and that William and Eliza were not married.

Nic