Author Topic: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)  (Read 2596 times)

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
Re: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 March 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the help so far.  After putting the feedback received so far together and then doing a little bit more digging, I have the following.  I would be grateful for any additional ideas especially on the red sections.

1814 born Durham, Newcastle – no baptism found
Several possibles in the Durham and Newcastle areas – not sure how to work out which is the right one!

1835 21st July William Patterson (Patteson) married Mary Lawton at Holy Trinity, Hull – downloaded copy of parish marriage (shame there are no ages / parents)
1841 census William is with first wife Mary living at Osborne Street, Holy Trinity, Hull (Engineer) - HO107/1231/6/F19 p30 (recorded as born in same county (i.e. Yorkshire) rather than Durham – downloaded
1851 – no record found (possibly at sea?)
1861 census William is with first wife Mary living at 4 Chapel Court, Myton (seems to be off Osborne St, their 1841 address) - RG09/3594/F108/p15 - downloaded
1861-1868 Sometime during this period William is no longer married to Mary Lawton and then marries Eliza Barley.  Cannot find a death for Mary Patterson that matches.
Possible: 1866 William Patterson marries Eliza Barling or Caroline Charlesworth in Sheppey Kent

1866 son Charles born – birth cert ordered
1868 son Arthur Barrington born (mmn: Barley) - living at 21 Trinity Street, Myton, Hull (Engineer of a steam boat) – have copy of birth cert
1871 census North Quay London dock, vessel “Lumsden” both William (Engineer) and Eliza (Engineer’s wife) are recorded under the list of officers and crew (correct places of birth) - downloaded
1878 15th July William was on board the Steamer “Lumsden” as the Chief engineer when it was stranded at Tyboren (Denmark?) on the coast of Jutland while on a voyage from Hull to Cronstadt (possibly St Petersburg?).  This was also the boat that he was on in the 1871 census.  Article downloaded from British Newspaper Archive.
1881 census 78 Regent Street, Myton, Hull (Marine Engineer) – downloaded
1881-1890 William dies – not proven yet
Possible 20/08/1882 William Patterson, Engineer, died on board “Milo” (would be 68 yrs old) boat was owned by J Wilson and Sons Co, Hull.  The Lumsden which he was on in 1871-78 was owned by T Wilson, Sons & Co.  I can’t find anything else about this in the BNA. – would there still be a death certificate?

1890 son Arthur Barrington Patterson marriage cert shows William as marine engineer (deceased)
1903 son Arthur Barrington Patterson second marriage cert shows William as engineer
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Patterson b. about 1814 (Durham). Lived Myton, Hull (marine engineer)
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 March 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
The William Pattison/Patterson from 1841 and 1861, in 1851 census :

15 Myton St., Hull,
Eleanor Pattison, wid, 70, b. Detford, Kent.
William Pattison, son, mar, 36, Engineer, b. Newcastle upon Tyne,
John Pattison, son, unm, 23, Engineer, b. Durham City,
HO107/2363/624/18

Maybe his wife and children although names don't quite match :

Anna Maria Buildings, Myton, Hull,
Mary Patterson, head, 31, mar, Mariners Wife, b. Kingston upon Hull,
Mary Jane Patterson, dau, 15, b. Kingston upon Hull
Margaret Patterson, dau, 13, b. Kingston upon Hull
William Patterson, son, 11, b. Kingston upon Hull,
HO107/2363/698/24

The 1866 marriage of Wllliam Patterson and Eliza Barling is on familysearch and can't be right unless they were telling fibs due to bigamy.  Eliza Barlings father is down as James, but Eliza Barleys father was Thomas.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 March 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
The details you give re William's death are correct - they can be viewed on Find My Past.

In theory there should be a death certificate but I suggest you contact the GRO and ask, giving them the details you have.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 March 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
According to the on line 1881 crew agreements from Maritime History Archive he was on board another of Wilson's ships the IRWELL official number 5348. prior to that he was on board another Wilson vessel the ARGO O/N 28253. Rank for all voyages Engineer.
http://www.mun.ca/mha/1881/crewfindingaid1881.php?page=1
He would not have a full death certificate from GRO only a shortened one giving detail from the Deaths at  Sea register supplied by the RGSS from details recorded in the ships logbook. Which is I believe on FindMyPast.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 March 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Just in case you do not have this;

Eliza Barley had a daughter called Linda Dunn Barley-born 5 Nov 1861 and baptised Wisbech 14 Dec. Linda married Thomas Robert Kay 15 Feb 1889 in Hull as Linda Dunn Barley but names her father as William Patterson (deceased) engineer.

In the 1871 Linda is recorded as Linda D Patterson and is with Charles and Arthur. In 1881 she is recorded as Linda D Barley and is residing with her aunt, Lucy Barley in Hull.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 March 18 21:50 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this entry in the probate calendar?

5 April.   The will of William Patterson late of the Borough of  Kingston- upon - Hull Marine Engineer who died 20 August 1882 at Stettin in Prussia was proved at York by Edwin Laverack of 3 Albemarle Terrace Anlaby- road in the said Borough Gentleman the sole executor.

This appears to tie up with the register showing British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials which you have for the Milo.

If it was me I would obtain the above will and hope that it contained enough detail to answer a number of questions.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 March 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Millmoor

It does look promising so I have followed your advice and ordered it.  Fingers crossed it will lead to some more information.

Nic

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 March 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone's help, I think that I have William's story pretty much sorted from his first marriage in 1835 to his death in 1882.  The missing parts are his:
  • birth / baptism around 1814 (I can't find this: from the 1841 census, his mother was Eleanor but I do not know his father's name)
  • the end of his first marriage to Mary Lawton sometime between 1861 and 1868
  • second marriage to Eliza Barley sometime between 1861 and 1868
I will add an update once I receive the probate and hopefully death cert.
Nic

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 March 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Searching for a William Patterson born 1814 +/-5yrs Newcastle with mother Eleanor gives one result

William Patterson bapt. 28 August 1814 Newcastle All Saints parents Robert and Eleanor.

I'm not saying this is the right one, just the only one I could find.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more