Author Topic: Lowthian Family from Scotland moved to Germany  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Schammi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lowthian Family from Scotland moved to Germany
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone  :)

First of all: I'm from Germany, so please excuse if my English isn't so good.
I'm looking for information about some ancestors of my family. They emigrated from Scotland to Germany, exactly to East Prussia (which belongs to Poland since WWII). This happened sometime in the 16th century. The name of this family was Lowthian or Lothian, which was changed to Laudien in Germany (Laudien is the birth name of my grandmother). They worked as weavers and brought the Scottish tartan pattern to Germany. I know these things from an old newspaper article my grandmother got from her father.
Unfortunately this is all information I have.
I'd very like to know more about them, for example where exactly they came from and why they left Scotland. Can anyone help me? Where / how could I find out more? Does anyone know something about this family? I'm a beginner in genealogy, so I don't know how to research...

Thanks a lot  :)
Schammi

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lowthian Family from Scotland moved to Germany
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Schammi,  welcome to Rootschat,  the name Lothian according to Black's "Surnames of Scotland!" dates from 1327 in Berwick & spelled variously as Louthyan, Loudaine, Lowthiane, Louden, Lowdean etc! Found throughout the eastern Lowlands & a branch in Glen Lyon called Lothian who claimed descent from an East Lothian man who moved north during the Wars of the Covenant. So maybe your ancestor was named Laudien when he arrived in Germany?

In the first half of the 17th century something like 70,000 Scots emigrated to the Baltic, Danzig in particular had a large Scots Quarter!

www.electricscotland.com/history/germany/army.htm

forebears.co.uk/surnames/lowthian

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Schammi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,

thanks a lot for your answer! The articles on electricscotland are very interesting and helpful.
I think Laudien is the german way to pronounce Lothian.

Schammi

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Schammi, es wuerde mich sehr ueberraschen, wenn eine Familie mit dem Familiennamen Lothian im 16. Jahrhundert ein Schottenakaromuster irgenwohin brachte. Der Grund fuer meine Ueberraschung ist, dass Lothian ein Name aus dem Tiefland, d.h. aus dem Sueden Schottlands ist, and karierte Stoffe im 16. Jahrhundert nur von den Mitgliedern der sogannten Clans im Hochland, d.h im Norden, getragen wurden.

Die heute bekannten Schottenkaros stammen fast all aus dem spaeten 18. und spaeteren Jahrhunderten, und vor dem Besuch des Koenigs Georg im Jahr 1822 trug kein Suedschotte einen Schottenrock - ein Gewand das erst etwa in 1773 in seinem heutigen Form erfunden wurde.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Schammi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hallo Forfarian,
danke für deine Antwort.
Das hat mich auch schon gewundert. Es steht halt so in diesem Zeitungsartikel, den ich von meiner Oma hab. Ich weiß nicht, inwieweit der Autor Ahnung vom Thema hatte. Der Artikel wirkt irgendwie allgemein nicht sehr seriös. Mich hat es ehrlich gesagt schon überrascht, dass das mit den nach Preußen emigrierten Schotten überhaupt stimmt...
Lg