Author Topic: Registration of Births in Wales  (Read 2608 times)

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Registration of Births in Wales
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone suggest why I am unable to trace registered births for three of my ancestors born post 1837 and all in the parish of Guilsfield Montgomeryshire.  I use Find my Past and have the Baptism transcripts for all three of the children but the one thing I need to be certain of their identity is their mother's maiden name.  I have their younger brother's birth certificate of 1849 and this gives mother's maiden name plus the full address of the father. They were all baptised at St Aelhaiarn Church Guilsfield and father's residence is shown as Llanerchrochwell. 
The children are:  Mary Ann Griffiths  baptised 25 June 1843
                           Elizabeth Ellen Griffiths  baptised 17 Aug 1845
                           Lloyd Griffiths  baptised 7 Feb 1847
I want the mother to be Ann, maiden name Davies to be sure they are all one family
There are a few possible traces in F my P birth registrations but I don't really want to order them all from GRO,  Are there any other sites where this information may be visible?  I hope I have posted this in the right place.
Many thanks...Sue

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Registration of Births in Wales
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 18 20:20 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the new GRO births index which now shows the mother's maiden name?

Not all births were registered in the early years.

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks nanny jan, I have just tried GRO as you suggest and no trace for the three births so it seems that the parents failed to register them. Ah well!
Sue

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
Are we talking about this family?  1851 census - Cefn Pentre - HO107/2498 folio 614, 25

John Griffiths - 42 - farmer - Guilsfield
Ann Griffiths - 39 - Meifod
Thomas Griffiths - 2? - farmer's son
Lloyd Griffiths - 4
Edmund Griffiths - 1

The marriage of John Griffiths and Ann Davies is dated 8 June 1844 and both parties are said to be single.  John of Guilsfield and Ann of Meifod.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline radiator2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you BumbleB.  Yes it is my family and I have all the Census records for the Griffiths plus the marriage certificate for John and Ann.  I was quite happy with it all and got in touch with Guilsfield Parish Church regarding John's parentage and received details of his baptism in 1808.  Also included in the reply were details of the three baptisms (Mary Ann, Elizabeth Ellen and Lloyd) and they all appear to belong to one set of parents, a John and Ann.  I rejected them because Mary Ann was born before my John and Ann had married in 1844.  What niggled me was that the Lloyd in the group is surely my Lloyd (he died in 1872 age 25) and I didn't find another baptism record.  I keep coming back to the trio and thought maybe Mary Ann was born out of wedlock and that both the girls maybe died before 1851 but I have found no death records.  So you see why I wanted birth certificates for all three to make a comparison.  Thomas Griffiths as on the 1851 Census is also a mystery but I gave up on him.  Such is ancestry research.  Thanks again Sue

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 18 16:48 BST (UK) »
I'm just wondering where the two girls are at the time of the 1851 census.  :-\

I wouldn't reject Mary Ann just because she was baptised prior to the marriage.  It wasn't unknown for this to happen, and it may very well have been "accepted" by that particular cleric at that particular time, and there may have been circumstances to prevent the marriage prior to Mary Ann's baptism.  After all, John and Ann were fairly mature by the time they did marry.  :)

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY