Author Topic: George and Mary E G underwood  (Read 2894 times)

Offline Kathleenmansfield86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George and Mary E G underwood
« on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Looking for family and information on George and Mary E G underwood who lived in  Northampton.
Hi. I am trying to complete my grandma's side of family tree.and i am struggling to find her father George Underwood.  My grandma was born Kathleen pamela may underwood (born 1929). Her father was George underwood believed to be (born 1897. However on the census transcription it says 1907 but on actuall image it looks 1897) And her mother was mary E G underwood (puttnam) (born 1897) They married in 1924 in Northampton and on 1939 census they lived at Gladstone road. Northampton with their children Betty V underwood(born 1926),  Edwin G underwood (1927), Jean underwood (1922), david J underwood (1937), kathleen pamela may underwood (my grandma) (1929). Kathleen underwood moved to Leicester and married Ernest mansfield (my grandad) kathleen never spoke of her family so unsure if they moved to leicester also or whether she came on her own as a young adult. Unfortunatly both kathleen and ernest have passed. I am on find my past and the only records i can find on George and Mary are the 1939 census and Mary's birth.  The only other birth record for a George Underwood for 1897 in northampton is George born in yardley hastings to parents of emma Kate underwood and Ben underwood. Anyone know of this family or are relatives i would love to be able to find out more .

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George and Mary E G underwood
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 March 18 21:44 BST (UK) »
However on the census transcription it says 1907 but on actuall image it looks 1897)

Which census is that?

You may need to get the marriage certificate for George and Mary E G to find out who his father was.
He may not have been born in Northamptonshire. 

I can't see a birth for Mary E G Puttnam either.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 March 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
Have you got a death for him? Is this it? If so the birth on the 1939 looks completely wrong.

George Underwood
Death Age:   78
Birth :   29 Oct 1897
Registration Date:   Jun 1976
Northampton  Northamptonshire
Volume:   7
Page:   2513
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 March 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
I am also puzzled that you say you have Mary’s birth - can you point us to it?  Was she born in Lancashire?  There are some Woolwich-born Puttnams traceable in Northampton with Lancastrian Puttnam nieces staying, including a Preston-born Mary of the right sort of age  But it would be a shame to spend time on them if you already know Mary’s roots.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 March 18 22:48 BST (UK) »
Who does George give as his father on his marriage certificate? On the 1901 Ben Underwood is a shoe finisher - does that match the occupation of his father on the certificate?

(Looks as if Ben had died by 1911)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 March 18 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I have Mary's roots. She was born in Lancashire it is the same person you have mentioned. However George is cannot seem to find any information on him and where he came from. My grandmas marraige certifcate states George Underwood is deseased at time of marraige which was 1953 but i cant find a George anywhere with the date of birth and a death between 1940-1953 (as he was alive on the 1939 census
Thanks

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Please can you point us to Mary’s birth so that we can help you find her death, and thus identify whether the couple stayed in Northampton or moved away.  Then we will have a better chance of helping you trace George.

Was she born as Puttnam? Or Gunnery perhaps? I can see the Alfred Puttnam marriage to Elizabeth Gunnery in Warrington in 1901, but that of course is after Mary’s expected birthdate.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi.

I do not have the marraige cert for George and Mary underwood i will be requesting this. On my grandma's marraige cert is says her father George underwood was deceased therfore he would have died between 1939-1953 as he is recorded on the 1939 register

Thanks

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 March 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Parallel thread:

Threads merged.