Author Topic: Lost Family member Miriam Sydney Wood.  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Family member Miriam Sydney Wood.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 March 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
Proceedings of the Twenty-First Annual Convention of the American Nurses' Association [1918]

Miriam S. Wood assigned to U. S. Army Base Hospital, Camp Meade.

https://docslide.com.br/documents/proceedings-of-the-twenty-first-annual-convention-of-the-american-nurses-association.html

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Miriam S. Wood was separated from the Army Nurse Corps in 1922.
[see page 60]

https://archive.org/stream/jstor-3407282/3407282_djvu.txt
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 March 18 23:51 BST (UK) »

Hi Erato

Thank you so very much for your replies.

Sorry I am not 100% sure that the Miriam Wood who was a student nurse at Buffalo in 1926 is my Miriam S Wood. I am going with this Miriam because of the name and occupation as another avenue to find her or if it is her as my Marian seems to lost after 1922

The Miriam Wood born in 1892 at Brooklyn and who applied for a passport in 1918,1920.1922 is not my Miriam. this Miriam has different parents named to mine and born in a different year.

My Miriam Sydney Wood was born in 1898 in NY and her parent were George H Wood and Miriam Ainsowrth.
George H Wood was a well known Vaudeville comedian who died on the 9 Nov 1912 and is buried at the historic Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn. His wife Miriam was a Vaudeville dancer-actress. Death unknown after 1918.
All their children are buried with George H Wood except Miriam Sydney and her mother.

Thank you so very much for what you have sent so fare it has given me a bit more to look at finding my Miriam but she is still at mystery after 1922.

With the kindest regards
Nattai Tim

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 March 18 00:08 BST (UK) »

Hi Shellyesq

Sorry I am not 100% sure that the Miriam Wood who was a student nurse at Buffalo in 1926 is my Miriam S Wood. I am going with this Miriam because of the name and occupation as another avenue to find her or if it is her as my Marian seems to lost after 1922

Kind regards
Nattai Tim

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 March 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am aware that the passport Miriam is not the person you are looking for.  I only mentioned her because she could be the student nurse in Buffalo.

Unfortunately, I have had no luck tracing your Miriam. For a few brief moments I thought for sure I'd found her  -  Miriam S. Bamford, divorced, born in NY in 1899, mother born in London, son named Sydney!  -  but I was wrong; that's not her.

Since she isn't buried in Brooklyn with the others, maybe she went overseas.  Medical missionary or something of that kind.

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 March 18 01:52 BST (UK) »

Hi Erato

Thank you once again for your help, yes you may be right about going Over seas, her mother Miriam is giving me a headache, she was in NY in 1918 but then nothing ?

Kindest regards
Tim

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 March 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
Are you positive that Mariam Sydney was the daughter of G.H. Wood and Marian Ainsworth?  There is an article dated 1898 about the two of them from an Australian newspaper.  Her name is spelled Marian, not Mariam.  They are performing at the Tivoli theater in Australia and it states that she is happy to be back in her home country.  Tells about their marriage, but mentions no child. 

www.hat-archive.com/biographies4.htm

If your Mariam is her daughter, perhaps they went back to Australia?

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 01 April 18 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi SLstephens

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am 120% positive Miriam Sydney Wood is the daughter of George H Wood and Miriam Ainsworth.

She is even mentioned in two articles in 1898 in the Newspapers when her parent brought her to Australia to perform. ( see below)

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/228448107?searchTerm=%22Miriam%20Sydney%20wood%22&searchLimits=

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/238384009?searchTerm=%22Miriam%20Sydney%20wood%22&searchLimits=

The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW : 1883 - 1923)  Saturday 5 February 1898  p 4 Article... their infant daughter, Miriam Sydney Wood. The impending revival of "The French Maid" at Her Majesty...

AMERICAN WAR SPIRIT. Experiences of Mr. Geo. H. Wood. A "Somewhat Different" Narrative. The Australian Star (Sydney, NSW : 1887 - 1909)  Monday 16 May 1898  p 8 Article... new acquisition will be held in reserve. It Is a girl named Miriam Sydney Wood — and is just 14 months.

They then went back to New York to live and George H Wood Died on the 9 November 1912, and their other daughter Mollie aka Mary and Winifred Wood are all buried together at Historic Greenwood Cemetery, however Miriam Sydney and her Mother Miriam are not buried with them. Both Miram's have vanished after 1922. The Wood Family are mentioned in the US census up till 1920.
The only thing I can think of is that Miriam married and her mother may have re married .. all a guess. and I can not find marriges for them. These two are the missing puzzle.

As for the spelling of Miriam it seems to be a continuous issue of everyone spelling it differently. 

Any help please

Kind regards
Tim

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 April 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
Do you know the precise date of Miriam's birth?  If so, you could try a SSDI search by birth date, looking for the death of anyone named Miriam, Mariam, Marian, Marion, Sydney, etc. who was born on that specific date.  If she got married and changed her surname, you might pick her up this way.

https://stevemorse.org/ssdi/ssdi.html 

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 April 18 02:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Erato

Thank you again.

I don't have Miram Sydney Woods exact birth date, other than she was born in 1897 or perhaps 1898.

Her parents were married in NY on the 17 December 1896. And they travelled to Australia's with little Miriam in February 1898 and Miriam was stated in a newspaper dated May 1898 she was 14 months old.

I have tried your SSDI attachment but for some reason it will not let me use it, it states it is incorrect or check the web page.

I will keep trying

Kind regards
Tim