Author Topic: Peagum family  (Read 7551 times)

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peagum family
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 12 April 18 07:47 BST (UK) »
MaryPeacan  (Mary Anne) married Michael Fitzgerald in Limerick in 1887.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10823/5947434.pdf

This family seem to use Peacan consistently so it would seem at the moment that it is not your family.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 12 April 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
MaryPeacan  (Mary Anne) married Michael Fitzgerald in Limerick in 1887.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1887/10823/5947434.pdf

This family seem to use Peacan consistently so it would seem at the moment that it is not your family.

Heywood

Yes, you're probably right. It's interesting that I match genetically with a bunch of Ryan's from the Limerick/Northern Tiperrary area though.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 12 April 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
You can't look sideways without seeing a Ryan in that part of the country, it's a wash with them. :D

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 12 April 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
You can't look sideways without seeing a Ryan in that part of the country, it's a wash with them. :D

Haha, fair enough. I was hoping the rarity of the Peagum surname would help me in my search, but it seems to have only proved a hinderance!

Do you have any ideas where to look next? I haven't ruled out the George Peagum from Devon in the Royal Navy, but that's still a very tentative guess! Maybe the Peagum surname wasn't her birth surname, and could be of a stepfather, adoptive parents, relative, or such? I'm going to check tonight on IrishGenealogy.ie through the 129 Emily's born in Limerick, and see if anything interesting shows up.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 12 April 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
I looked at all (I think) of the Peagum type surnames female births in Limerick in the hope of finding a Mary Emily or similar so you might as well try the Emilys of all surnames.
Other than trawling the parish registers I can't think of anything else at this stage.

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 13 April 18 03:06 BST (UK) »
I looked at all (I think) of the Peagum type surnames female births in Limerick in the hope of finding a Mary Emily or similar so you might as well try the Emilys of all surnames.
Other than trawling the parish registers I can't think of anything else at this stage.

It's quite perplexing, isn't it? It's like Emily never even existed until she gave birth to her first child!

Anyway, I searched through the records, though I didn't find much of note. There's an Emilia born 1867, no father's name given, to a Margret McGuane – seems a bit tenuous though. https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03492/2283308.pdf

Short of hiring a top-notch professional genealogist now, I'm out of ideas! (And I'm not sure how much further they'd get.)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 13 April 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
It is most perplexing.
In your first post, you are quite specific with her birth year yet the censuses show different birth years.
Unfortunately, I don’t think that widening the search helps to find the elusive Emily. :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 13 April 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
It is most perplexing.
In your first post, you are quite specific with her birth year yet the censuses show different birth years.
Unfortunately, I don’t think that widening the search helps to find the elusive Emily. :-\

Yeah. I was specific because I assumed the age on her marriage certificate was exact. Then I started doubting that... But you're right, widening the search (even by 10 years either side) doesn't seem to help at all.

I've literally only found one Emily Peagum/Pegum in Great Britain in the 19th C, and this was a woman born in Devon, who seemed to have married a man named Jenkins.