Author Topic: TOUGHEY/TOOHEY FAMILY  (Read 2284 times)

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TOUGHEY/TOOHEY FAMILY
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 April 18 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks looks like a tricky one.
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 April 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
"....Research carried out in 1980s told me Cornelius Toughey born 3 Feb.1861 in Ennis, county Clare. Poss parents Patrick and Ellen......"

Who did the research?

"Possible parents".... doesn't look like it came from a Church Register or that it is proper research!

I've people born Londonderry ( on many Ancestry trees ) but they were never from Londonderry!  Plus many names glued on "because they looked right"....

People found shipping records where they left from there, so they had them born there!!

Is it a shipping record you have??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline cattao

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 April 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
Research  was done in the 1980s by  one of Cornelius' grandsons, now deceased. I have no  idea where he sourced  his information and it is my next job to find a living member of his  family with the hope they may  have some thoughts.  Other descendants knew of the research done but say they have no idea either.  I have been on Co. Clare library  site, on to the forum and found many Tuohy names in Feakle parish with Dromore as a townland, so it is a slow process at the moment, thanks for the email also. In the obit for Cornelius it states he was from Dromore. I am impatiently waiting for a cert to arrive which may give me some more clues.
Gray, Madigan, Purdy, Churchwood.