Author Topic: Burial place of John McDonald killed in cycling accident near Tarbet 1900  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Last year I was asked if I could find any contemporary newspaper reports on this accident because there is a memorial stone near the location of the accident on the present A82.

There has now been an article in the local paper but the burial place of John McDonald is not known.

I had a look on DeceasedOnline but could not see it, wondering if anyone here has any records they can check?

The Scotsman - Monday 03 December 1900
Image © Johnston Press plc
FATAL CYCLING ACCIDENT ON LOCH LOMONDSIDE. 
News has reached Alexandria of a fatal cycling accident which has occurred on the shores of Loch Lomond between Ardlui and Tarbet. A man named John M'Donald, who was gamekeeper on Sir James Colquhoun's estate, had been in the habit of going once or twice a week to Tarbet, a distance of twelve miles, for provisions. On Thursday forenoon last he set out as usual on his bicycle, accompanied by his dog, to Tarbet, where he arrived safely. He did not leave Tarbet for the return journey till late on Thursday night. He was last seen alive at ten o'clock that night on the road home, accompanied by his dog. All seems to have gone well till he came to a bridge on the roadside. In the darkness he had not seen the wall bounding the bridge, as he went crashing against it with terrible force, being flung from his machine over tho bridge, a depth of 30 feet, into the burn which runs under the bridge. He must have been going at a great speed , as he was terribly lacerated. The first notice of this fatality was received on Friday morning by a tramp who had seen the body of a man lying in a barn with a dog by his side, and the police were then instantly communicated with. The body was conveyed to Tarbet.

From British Newspaper Archive
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place of John McDonald killed in cycling accident near Tarbet 1900
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
According to his death registration the informant was Donald McCallum brother-in-law from Tarbet.
His wife was a McCallum.  There are both McDonald/McCallum's buried in Tarbet.  Because you can't find him he may not have a stone.  However, if you go to Argyll & Bute website https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk you can email them and ask if he is buried in Tarbet.

If you wish a copy of his death send me a PM with your email address and I will forward it to you.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
According to his death registration the informant was Donald McCallum brother-in-law from Tarbet.
His wife was a McCallum.  There are both McDonald/McCallum's buried in Tarbet.  Because you can't find him he may not have a stone.  However, if you go to Argyll & Bute website https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk you can email them and ask if he is buried in Tarbet.

If you wish a copy of his death send me a PM with your email address and I will forward it to you.

Don

Thanks, I have a copy of the death registration.

POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Managed to make contact with a descendant of his wife. 

He is believed to be buried in Arrochar.

O'Shea - Quebec

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 18 19:25 BST (UK) »
This may help?

www.arrocharheritage.com/ArrocharCemetery.htm

Great site though quick search facility is limited I think. You have to look through by area/row in the cemetery.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
A couple of John MacDonalds listed, but not the correct one:

www.arrocharheritage.com/Arrochar%20Cemetery/1_58%20John%20McDonald/John%20McDonald.htm

www.arrocharheritage.com/ArrocharCemetery3_3.htm

It may be that there is no surviving stone and the burial register needs to be checked.

Monica

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 March 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
It is being looked into, a grave has been found which does not have the full name but could be him.

Thanks.

O'Shea - Quebec

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 March 18 20:39 BST (UK) »
I saw that one, with only the name John being legible. Stones can weather badly, this one looked particulary old/worn www.arrocharheritage.com/ArrocharCemetery2_9.htm

Hope you find what you need  :)

Monica