Author Topic: Cannot rename folder .  (Read 2399 times)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Cannot rename folder .
« on: Friday 30 March 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
I have done a large amount of research on one family  and have folders within folders.
I can`t rename the folders.  I`m on Windows 8.1, I`ve tried moving them to another location but still get the same message.
Folder in use ,  close down, . the main named folder is in Documents, and the one I`m trying to rename  is in another folder.  ::)

I`m totally baffled  especially as it only seem to be this one that I`m having an issue with.

Any ideas  please.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot rename folder .
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
To state the obvious (in case you haven't tried that), have you rebooted the PC?  I sometimes get this when deleting or renaming a file and its usually because Windows is holding an application open in memory even though it would appear to be closed and that application is holding the folder open.   A reboot will often resolve it.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks but  that didn`t work, re started  and then closed down completely and  booted up.

It still won`t let me rename ,  I looked at the “properties” but really can`t see anything there that might cause a problem, and anyway I`ve not changed any settings.
So annoying. 

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
If all else fails, create a new (sub)folder with the new name, select and copy the files from the old folder and past them into the new folder. When you're sure all the files are in the new folder, delete them in the old folder. The old folder will then be 'empty' and can usually be deleted without problems.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 March 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Grrrrrrrrr, it won`t let me do that. I deleted  the shortcut on the desktop. Made a new folder in Documents, tried to move  folders I want to the new folder, and  it`s back to  square one.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 March 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
I haven't had this problem for some time and in those cases managed to work out which programme was the culprit fairly easily, so I've no helpful advice at the moment.
Just one question, what does it say under 'More Details'?
It wouldn't by any chance list the programmes using the file would it? (I have no idea what's usually there and can't recreate your problem to find out.)

Hope you can sort it. I know I found it very irritating.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 March 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
Have you tried moving files one at a time to the new folder? . . . eventually you should find the one that is "in use". But if the whole folder is in use, that won't work of course  :-\

Another possibility is a hidden system file causing the problem.

Or possibly there's a program automatically starting up when you reboot?

Can't think of anything else at the moment . . . sorry  :(
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:00 BST (UK) »
I haven't had this problem for some time and in those cases managed to work out which programme was the culprit fairly easily, so I've no helpful advice at the moment.

Shouldn't be an issue if you reboot.

Another possibility is a hidden system file causing the problem.

Or possibly there's a program automatically starting up when you reboot?

That would be the most likely reason that they are still held open after a reboot.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 March 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't expect that error message and normally you can rename, but have the subfolders got very long names along with the file names within?  There is a maximum number of characters than Windows allows for a number of actions, although it will allow you often to save even when the total number of characters in the folder/file path is exceeded.  Normally long file names is only an issue when deleting or moving rather than renaming but may be worth trying to shorten one of the folder names to say a single character to try.  If you try and move a folder that's path exceeds the total number of permissible characters (includes names of all folders above from the root of c drive) then it will stop you but again I wouldn't expect that message but sometimes you don't always get the message you'd expect.  Mind you its possible even if you shorten one folder that it could still be too long a path.