Author Topic: Samuel Duffield b1795  (Read 982 times)

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Duffield b1795
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
Martha Duffield, buried 29 May 1881, same CoE register as Samuel

Also checked Campbell Town Hospital records from around the time of their deaths; and the Campbell Town assessment rolls without success

M

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this information. .This is a possibility.       Some details for Samuel.  He was  baptised. 15 / 11 / 1795.  South Normanton. Derbyshire.  Parents Mary. nee Durham. and Thomas Duffield.  He served with the 2nd Battalion Coldstream  Guards.  fought at Waterloo and awarded campaign medal
  He was tried at the court of St James Palace and convicted of desertion on22 / 11 /1821. .Sentenced to 14 years  penal colony Van Diemans Land.    Was sent to the hulks the Justitia. 28 / 12 / 1821     Voyage on the Prince of Orange. 22 /. 3 / 1822 .
     On reaching Tasmania he was assigned to a W H Harrison.  to work.  I have records over the years when he served his time.  Mary Cullingford was also assigned to the Harrison’s but at a later date.    I have theory that Samuel deserted to get home as both parents who died within months of each other.   I intend to get the trial records from the National Archives at some point .Thanks again for your help. Always appreciate any information.   Kind regards Tineke

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 April 18 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the  death record for Samuel,Duffield.  I am accepting this as my Samuel.  as he was in the 2nd Batttalion. Coldstream Guards and fought at Waterloo in 1815.  The age discrepancy does not bother me as in various records his date of birth is given as (abt 1791 ).  It was in fact 1795. I have a record of this .  I really appreciate your help.  Many thanks. Tineke