Author Topic: Was Edward Harrison the brother of Charles Eltham?  (Read 3206 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Was Edward Harrison the brother of Charles Eltham?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 April 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
More food for thought ...............James E Harrison born 1839 England passed away Wentworth hamilton Ontario 23 May 1890 - aged 51 years - pneumonia.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 April 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
Could be him, the middle E in the name might be Eltham.
I've been trying to find the family on ship's list going to Canada, but I have found an Edward Elthem (sic) age 22 (b abt 1841) on a ship to New York in 1863. It says his intended place of residence was Canada, it could have taken him a few years to get there. The only other Edward Eltham I can find of similar age was born in Medway district as Edward Charles Eltham in 1840 and appears on every census from 1841 to 1901 in Kent
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 15:33 BST (UK) »
If that is the right James, then only William is missing. Some online trees have him emigrating to Australia, but I haven't confirmed. Yesterday I was contacted by a descendant of Ann Maria Eltham. Her DNA results connect her to the descendants of the siblings who went to Canada. Possibly she will find an Australian connection as well. I don't have a DNA match to her, but if my theory of our connection is right, she would be my 7th cousin once removed, so probably too distant to have a match.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline hughchi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 January 23 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I don't know where you are in your search for Eltham-Harrison relatives, but as the grandson of Charles Eltham Harrison, born May 1881, Hamilton, Ontario, I can confirm that most of your information regarding the Elthams of Berkshire appears to be quite accurate. Edward Harrison (born Edward Eltham) is the only child of John and Ann who changed his surname after emigrating and no one was ever able to clarify why.
I was only 13 when my grandfather died in 1963 and I guess I wasn't curious enough to ask him if he knew why great grandfather Edward changed his name to Harrison. However, I know my father, Charles Grayson Harrison would have found out at some point in his life as he was always interested in family history and he couldn't tell me why any time I asked him before he died in 2015.
Seems strange that no one would know why.
I had certainly heard from my father about Grandad's half brother who had emigrated from Ontario to Texas.
My grandfather Charles used Eltham as a middle name as did his son, Hugh Eltham Harrison. I am not aware of any current usage of the name Eltham amongst the children of my nieces, nephews or indeed cousins and their offspring.
My father, Charles Gryson Harrison was the only child of Charles Eltham Harrison and Alice May Peebles, the younger sister of Bessie Peebles mother of the C E. Harrison's first four children - Mary-Louise, Hugh, Elizabeth, and Edward. Bessie died of complications following childbirth and Alice May moved in to care for the children. Some years later, Charles realized he had become smitten by Alice May and they were married. She later gave birth to my father who was significantly more than a half brother, as his mother's DNA would be pretty much identical to her older sister.
If there's anything I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.
Sincerely,
Hugh Clinton Harrison,
born Hamilton, Ontario, Jan 2, 1951
to Charles Grayson Harrison (1924-2015) and Nancy Alice née Wigle (1925, still alive and well and living at home at 97)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 March 23 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hugh
Welcome to Rootschat. Sorry didn't reply earlier but have not been getting notifications of new posts. I think that makes us 6th cousins. If my theory that John the father of Joseph Eltham b Brightwell abt 1776 was the son of John Eltham b Steventon abt 1749 is correct.