Author Topic: Lives of the First World War website  (Read 1182 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Lives of the First World War website
« on: Friday 30 March 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi peeps.

Does anyone know how stuff gets updated there, please?

I have two g.uncles who were KIA. 

1.  In 1916 and his date of death is mentioned in the top bit of his profile page (underneath his name) and I can see that the CWGC Casualty Record for him was uploaded by the IWM three years ago.

2.  In 1918, but his date of death isn't mentioned in the top bit of his profile (underneath his name) and I can see that the CWGC Casualty Record for him hasn't been uploaded by the IWM.

There's an option to upload "proof" of date of birth/death, and for No. 2 I've uploaded a copy of his birth certificate and a link to his CWGC entry.  Will someone from the website come along in due course, review what I've submitted and add the details to his profile, or will it stay like it is now for evermore?

Thanks
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline bartman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lives of the First World War website
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 March 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
My grandfsther was KIA in 1916, when my father was aged 2.
The Lives of the First World War had his date of death, from his medal index card at the IWM.
I submitted "evidence" linking to his entry on the CWGC records, as well as uploading scans of a newspaper report of his death and a copy of his birth certificate re. his date of birth.
All this was added to the website, although I can't remember how long it took, but I think the info you submitted will eventually be added.
One thing I would like to know is whether the evidence I submitted re his date of birth will find its way to the CWCG records, as they do not have that recorded and consequently it is not shown on his gravestone in France. If anybody knows the answer to that I would be grateful to hear it.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 March 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
You could always contact the CWGC yourself with the evidence regarding your grandfather's birth. They will ask for the birth certificate or copy of.

I have done this in the past with success although it took a while for their records to update.

Do not rely on IWM as my understanding is that they are not directly linked to CWGC.

Good luck

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 March 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
Lives if the First World War is another Findmypast website, as previously advised you should contact CWGC yourself.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 March 18 01:49 BST (UK) »
Small Town Girl I would contact CWGC directly.  As for what happens with Lives of the First Worl War I uploaded a short story on December 14, 2017 and it still is not on their site.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 March 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
When I uploaded birth & death certificates for my grandfather they appeared immediately, that was when the website was fairly new though.  I have just checked and the information is still there.

I understood that the site was an IWM site in conjunction with F M P  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 March 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
My grandfsther was KIA in 1916, when my father was aged 2.
The Lives of the First World War had his date of death, from his medal index card at the IWM.
I submitted "evidence" linking to his entry on the CWGC records, as well as uploading scans of a newspaper report of his death and a copy of his birth certificate re. his date of birth.
All this was added to the website, although I can't remember how long it took, but I think the info you submitted will eventually be added.
One thing I would like to know is whether the evidence I submitted re his date of birth will find its way to the CWCG records, as they do not have that recorded and consequently it is not shown on his gravestone in France. If anybody knows the answer to that I would be grateful to hear it.

The CWGC will not put his date of birth on the headstone. The only date they seek to include is the date of death.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline bartman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 March 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who replied to my question re CWGC - Imber, I agree that the d.o.b. is not shown on  headstones, but where it is known I think the person's age is shown.
I was thinking that if they are satisfied as to his age at death and add it to their records, his age may be added to the headstone in the long-term future when it is next re-engraved or replaced.

Good luck with your query STG, probably worth contacting them again.
Sorry to hijack your thread.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 March 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Ok I see what you are intending now. As suggested, contact CWGC and explain clearly what you are after. You will need to provide satisfactory evidence of his date of birth so I guess a copy of a birth certificate will do the trick. They won't take your word for it. They might just add the information to the headstone quite quickly. I've had an incorrect age cleverly changed on a CWGC headstone, but only after providing the appropriate evidence.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)