Author Topic: Any information on the birth/baptism of Johnathan Smith (1840?)  (Read 2509 times)

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any information on the birth/baptism of Johnathan Smith (1840?)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
Just found out that Johnathan Smith who I have been looking for in the 1871 census for the last 10 years was living with his mother, father and brothers Richard & Thomas & Cousin John Jones at Prices Lane Oxton, Cheshire!! instead of with his wife who was living in Bury with her daughter at the time of the 1871 census.
Haven`t been able to find him in the 1881 census yet if anyone has any ideas that would really be great.

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 April 18 07:28 BST (UK) »
Just another request to add to the one above about the 1881 census.
I was wondering if any light could be shed on Johnathan Smith & Emma Roberts if it could be found out who was living at the properties that they were registered at for the 1862 marriage ie fro Johnathan Smith  Queen St & for Emma ?mond St sadly I do not have the numbers of these streets, as it wasn`t that long since the 1861 census.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 April 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
Micklehurst is the name of the building that they are living in, not the place near Mossley. They are in the town of Bashall Eaves, Yorkshire.

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 April 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather Julie
Thanks for clarifying, I think it is more and more likely to be the Johnathan Smith born in Oxton Cheshire, especially as his father is called Richard and is a labourer as per Johnathan`s marriage details to Emma Roberts. It was a clever search that you did though.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 April 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a death showing on Free BMD for a John Smith in Sept Qtr 1876, age 37, district Birkenhead, (reference 8a/304).

With such a common name it is difficult to be sure if this is your man or not but the age could fit in if he was possibly born in 1839 and christened early 1840?

Alan

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 April 18 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

That`s great work. I apparently have two Johnathan Smiths to go at born of Richard & Ann Smith of Oxton Cheshire one baptised July 1841  and the other March 1840, so I think the John`s deth would fit with the latter Johnathan Smith.
Also Johnathan Smith & Emma Roberts (his wife 1862) their daughter (born 1869) seems to persist in calling herself Smith whereas her half brothers & sisters (born after the death of Johnathan Smith) call themselves Fanning which makes me think possibly he was her daddy but he wasn`t around to father anymore children which would fit in with him dying in 1876, I`m all for going for this one, I think it may be worth getting the death cert unless someone can access this type of record and see who reported his death to see if it was Emma (who was in Birenhead for the 1881 census) or someone who wouldn`t appear to have a link with Johnathan in which case he may sadly not be "my" Johnathan.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 April 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

It might be as well to check the earlier 1871 censuses to see if there is any other John Smith in the Birkenhead area of a similar age - if not then it may possibly be your man. If there is another "John Smith" family you could follow them through later censuses to see if that John was alive after 1881 etc.

Probably its worth doing a little bit more research before buying the death certificate.

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 April 18 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Found another John Smith with wife Hannah and children Albert and Nathaniel in the area in 1871. However they still seem to be together in 1881 with additional children, having moved back to Lancashire from Birkenhead.

Could the possibility that the 1876 death is your man be a step nearer?

Alan

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 07 April 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Al

As Johnathan marries Emma Roberts in 1862 the second John you found wouldn`t really fit, I am still placing my bets on the John Smith you found who died in 1876, like I said there seems to be some resources whereby you can find out who reported the death, sadly I am not a member of Ancestry.com or any other such sight now, but if I could get that sort of information I would have thought (especially if it is Emma (his wife) or a family member who reports his death, it would go part of the way in confirming that it is "my" Johnathan.
The only second thoughts I have is if he was in Oxton for all the censuses why wasn`t he there for his death?
Like I said if I don`t get any luck from this site I may order the death certificate.