Author Topic: Irritations - then and now  (Read 3668 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Irritations - then and now
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 April 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
I get annoyed with my autocorrect on my Kindle.  It constantly substitutes some of the words I write for other ones.  This is not just changing spelling but changing words completely.  Often when I put posts on here some words are changed immediately when I click on post.  This often means that I have to try to spot the errors and modify trying to put the right word on.  Sometimes, I don't notice all the gaffs straightaway.

I once posted a death notice recording that there would be 'internet' at the cemetery mentioned; I also once thanked someone on here for their 'love-making'!  :o :-[ Thankfully, I spotted that one and was able to recorrect quite quickly - hopefully, before the intended recipient (or others, come to think of it) of that post noticed and thought I had gone completely mad.

Also, the other day a post I wrote recorded that my Grt x 3 Grandmother had been a 'basket of cotton' instead of a 'hawker of cotton' as I had originally wrote! ::)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 08 April 18 17:00 BST (UK) »
Ancestry playing up is irritating but it has lasted days now. Being told to create accounts when I have one, and being told to sign in all the time. An irritation now regarding me wanting to find out about the then, my ancestors. I am not alone though as others have experienced Ancestry playing up.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 09 April 18 03:22 BST (UK) »
The tiny print on newspapers must have annoyed everyone, especially with no artifical light.
I have a photograph of my grandfather taken c. 1940 reading newspaper in his doorway.
Electricity came in 1952 to his home.

Jfch

I don't know about other countries, but here in NZ, for some years, our free regional telephone books have become almost impossible to read.  They now measure just 19x25 cm, are 5 mm thin, and include White Pages, Yellow Pages, Emergency Information, Government and Council, Medical and Hospitals Info.  You can imagine how hard they are to see, and certainly no good for oldies or people with poor eyesight, even with a magnifying glass.

Nowadays, but very rarely, if I do need to look up a phone number I don't have on my mobile, I just go online and check out the relevant White or Yellow pages Directory for the number I need!  I think whoever publishes it it just wasting the taxpayer's money!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 09 April 18 08:36 BST (UK) »
I also once thanked someone on here for their 'love-making'!  :o :-[ Thankfully, I spotted that one and was able to recorrect quite quickly - hopefully, before the intended recipient (or others, come to think of it) of that post noticed and thought I had gone completely mad.

The mind boggles. What did you mean to type?

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 09 April 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
I meant to write 'peace making'.   It's a long story and a bit embarrassing now but I had gone on a little bit of a rant when I had gone out of my way travelling to do a look up for someone and they did not say thank you.  I am a bit of a stickler for manners.  This was an accidental oversight  it turned out and I did get a very nice well written and very diplomatic apology so all was forgiven.  Another person put a post trying to make the peace in the situation  however it was all over and done with by then.  I was a bit embarrassed afterwards as I felt  I had probably come across a bit petulant.

When I noticed the kindle had changed 'peace making ' to 'love making' I had to make quite a mad dash to correct things.  I could just imagine the recipient on this public post thinking "Whoa steady on there!!"

I think this Kindle has a devilish streak  ..It took 3 attempts last week to change my words about 3 x Get Grandmother not being a basket of  cotton to a basket of cotton.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 April 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
Just tried out my iPad for peacemaking - I got peacemaking,!  ;D ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 09 April 18 19:05 BST (UK) »
Well, that just goes to show my Kindle is possessed.  ;)

I see above it has struck yet again and my Grt x 3 Grandmother has been changed to a 'basket of cotton'. (Reply 22) Aaagh!  I give up. ::)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 April 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
It is part and parcel of genealogy and I should be used to it by now but it is irritating (or disappointing) when you think you have found an ancestor, only to find a very inconvenient burial as a child, baby or young man/woman, or marriage to another spouse, or different family listed in a will.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 April 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
I once read an article in an old bound copy of The Gentleman's Magazine" which bemoaned the advent of photography and cameras.  Apparently cameras were responsible for the decline in the ability to paint watercolours of landscapes.
Jan
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire