Author Topic: Irritations - then and now  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irritations - then and now
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 April 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
"Flash in the pan, that'll never catch on"...

We were told that about digital currency when it first came to be used in Ireland. A little shop in a country village, an old shopkeeper who announced "I'm not going to bother with that new money, I'm going to use the old money"

I was living in Ipswich, Suffolk when we had decimalisation and there was an old butcher there who insisted on working in Old Money for some years afterwards.  Lots of us, who had never shopped with him before, gave him our custom because it was rather nice to see someone trying to hold back the decimal tide single-handedly.  He gave up eventually, when things got too difficult and the rest of the country had abandoned £ s d, and it was very sad to see the shop close for the last time.  But I must admit I do love that British bloody-mindedness that he exhibited.   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
I get irritated by the usage of Roman numerals at the end of TV shows instead of just showing the year in the everyday numbers we use. 123.

Our ancestors probably got annoyed in at night with having to try and read the paper under a lantern.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
I remember my Grandma doing the laundry with a dolly tub and posher and an old fashioned mangle wringer. She couldn't be doing with the new fangled washing machines and they would never get the clothes properly clean.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
Spanish flu must have been quite annoying.

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
I think I would be have annoyed if I'd got up early to get to the factory/dock gates in search of a day's work only to told there wasn't any.  I could have stayed in bed.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
I remember being told the story of an ancient country relative whose landlord decided in the 1950s to replace his outside toilet with one inside the house.  Part of the large landing was partitioned off, and a toilet and wash hand basin duly installed, much to the horror of my relative, who insisted that lavatories inside a house were disgusting.  So he just ignored it and continued to use the 'bumbee' (Suffolk slang - outside toilet) at the bottom of the garden.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
I remember when we went decimal with our money. This prompted a family discussion on everything eventually going metric.

Well mum declared indignantly I will never go into a shop and order a litre of curtains  ;D ;D

We could not stop laughing.

Probably my grandparents were most irritated by an increase in the cost of a loaf of bread or a pint of beer. Grandad always got his priorities right  :-X :-X

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Probably my grandparents were most irritated by an increase in the cost of a loaf of bread

This reminded me of an incident with my Mum.  We got home from work/school one day to find her quite upset because 'they said on the radio that bread is going up'.  She was horrified because the price had gone up a couple of days ago and now it was going up again.  After a lot of questioning we established that she had been listening to the pop charts and the group, Bread, was going up in the charts.  We never let her forget that one.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
I get annoyed by the trek to the bank,  my Victorian ancestors had one within reasonable walking distance.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others