Author Topic: Wilson family.  (Read 3690 times)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson family.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 April 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
The IGI only goes to 1874 so Daniel/Donald and Mary are not listed.

Familysearch has a birth for a Mary McNee Wilson , 7th Jan. 1881 , Holytown Lanark , parents Andrew Wilson and Mary McNee.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 April 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
Ah, yes, I forgot that it does also have some births from 1881 and 1891, but the ones in between are not available on FS.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Chantelle Meiring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the info. I am going to go through everything and see what matches.

Chantelle
South Africa

Offline Chantelle Meiring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
I know that the son Andrew Wilson was born the 22 January 1873. He is the one that came to South Africa and I know that his one brother fought at Dunkirk and later on comitted suicide due to what he had seen during the war. The only info on Mary McNee is that she was from the Highlands. I unfortunately do not know if Andrew was the only child that left for South Africa. I do know the brother who died was a bachelor and passed away in England.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 April 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
The only info on Mary McNee is that she was from the Highlands.
You have been given extracts from the 1861 and 1881 censuses, both of which say that she was was born in Glasgow. See the earlier replies in this thread. Glasgow is not in the Highlands, so it may be that her parents were from the Highlands rather than Mary herself.

Have you looked at that 1855 birth certificate? It will tell you where and when Andrew and Mary were born. See https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/guides/statutory-register-births#1855%20register%20entries

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 April 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
There is a death for Mary Wilson 1912 Airdrie or New Monkland age 75 ref 651/213 also as Mary
Macnee same ref number on Scotlands People which will confirm her parents names ..
All census forms as mentioned her birth is down as Glasgow

Rosie

Offline heather13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 February 21 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chantelle, I registered here just so I could respond :)

Andrew and Mary are my 3rd great-grandparents, I'm through their son Peter who emigrated to the USA. I've recently connected with another descendant of Peter's who had more family info than I did. I didn't get a lot of specifics on the siblings but he said a number of them went to South Africa to mine for gold, Peter was the only one to head west. Most of the info the cousin shared was on Peter and his children but there was a letter or two from his brother Thomas, who remained in Scotland.

I was digging on Ancestry today and found the family of John and Janet with Andrew as a son in a few census records (as posted by Monica here). It feels right that this is his family but I hope to
 find more confirmation.

I'd love to connect if you are interested.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 February 21 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

If she hasn't changed email address in the meantime, Chantelle will receive a notification of your post here and hopefully post back.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heather13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 February 21 21:19 GMT (UK) »
thanks, I just realized this was a bit of an old thread, surprised I hadn't come across it in my searching before.