Author Topic: Gravestone Topic=The Gravestone Store  (Read 38593 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Gravestone Topic=The Gravestone Store
« on: Saturday 06 August 05 23:58 BST (UK) »
There are so many interesting subjects, views, Questions, stories. about graves. How about having a New Page in the common room and call it "The Grave Store"  or " A grave Story"so all the topics can go in there , or be  MOVED and make it easier for others to find what they want.Instead of starting another topic on the same subject. What do you think mods ???
or anyone else ;)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Do we need a Gravestone board?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 05 04:07 BST (UK) »
I love that idea Celia, perhaps we can call it "Beyond the Grave"  :o
Maybe it could also be a place where people can post photos of stones etc. if they are having trouble reading the inscription?
Prue

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Brain addled?..........mine too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 05 10:27 BST (UK) »
That has my vote too.......brilliant idea     8)

Sue
Gourlay,Peat,Porter,Smith,Kirk, from Ceres,Cupar,Kennoway,Fife<br />Coley,from Barcombe,Sussex<br />Cozens from Kingston Russel,Symonds from Symondsbury,Dorset<br />Catchpole,from Norfolk,London (Fulham)<br />Lock/e,from Somerset and London (Pimlico) Everett from Portsmouth and Alvechurch,Worcester<br />Carr/Wandes....Hampshire<br />Spicer,Fry,Fosher,Coulter,Burridge,Brewster,Hancock, Lotter from Kent and London Borders<br />Holloway from Sussex

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 05 10:53 BST (UK) »
Brilliant idea.

Perhaps it could also include requests for gravestone visits in areas where Rootschatters find it impossible to visit themselves.  I'm sure there are many people who would take a look for others in their own areas - and beyond (I was going to say beyond the grave but thought better of it....  :-X )

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline puellaanimae85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 05 11:37 BST (UK) »
An excellent idea! I have been trying to travel around a bit looking at gravestones, but as all our ancestors are some distance, it would be great to post requests and in return, do some sleuthing locally.

Sarah

Offline the happy granny

• RootsChat Senior
  • Brain addled?..........mine too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, lookups would be great too.

I don't mind looking for graves in Maidstone and surrounding villages in Kent

Sue
Gourlay,Peat,Porter,Smith,Kirk, from Ceres,Cupar,Kennoway,Fife<br />Coley,from Barcombe,Sussex<br />Cozens from Kingston Russel,Symonds from Symondsbury,Dorset<br />Catchpole,from Norfolk,London (Fulham)<br />Lock/e,from Somerset and London (Pimlico) Everett from Portsmouth and Alvechurch,Worcester<br />Carr/Wandes....Hampshire<br />Spicer,Fry,Fosher,Coulter,Burridge,Brewster,Hancock, Lotter from Kent and London Borders<br />Holloway from Sussex

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 August 05 20:08 BST (UK) »
What a good idea!  I have found references to several of my ancestors' graves by Googling, but without photos or the means of getting to see them.  It would be useful for lookups too.

Veronica
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline JillJ

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 August 05 20:19 BST (UK) »
An excellent idea!   What about it Trystan?

Jill
Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 August 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your votes ladies, keep them coming in ;)
I allready have a cemetery topic i have had for some time.Two in fact.One in Cheshire and one in the armed forces.
I do look ups for Rake Lane Cemetery.If you know someone is buried there,but don't know where.I have to go to the reference library to look up the burial. Before i can find the grave,I then take a photo of the grave stone if possible.
The other topic is all transcriptions taken from the gravestones of merchant seamen and there relatives.Oh yes and i take photo's of the house Grannie used to live in ;D It all started when i found my graddads ( A Commander in the R.N.R) grave  then i spotted another the ball never stopped rolling  ;D My Bedroom now resembles an office  ;D Take a look at the Cheshire topic and it will give you some idea of what to do. If you decide to be a looker upper ;D

Celia

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,18262.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,13199.0.html
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885