Author Topic: Gravestone Topic=The Gravestone Store  (Read 38586 times)

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
Re: Do we need a Gravestone board?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 August 05 23:22 BST (UK) »
Weeldon are you sure about the amount of member??  your quote  Rootschat has 200000 billion, trillion ?members (or something like that} more than the population of earth but know what you mean I think the gravestone topic should be in place I know this is a morbid thing to say and i will spend a lot of time their one day but I enjoy going around cemeteries taking pics of gravestones in a peaceful surrounding. Reminds me of another hobby of gravestone rubbing which i did at school.

Â                                           Jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 August 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
Reminds me of another hobby of gravestone rubbing which i did at school.

Not at school Jim but a day I shall probably never forget ................. a couple of years ago (for an embroidery project) ..................... I lost one of my wax crayons ........................... it turned up the next day ................ melted on the car seat ........... whoops :o

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam
I read minds you know ;D see my post above. the reason i suggested the now "Topic". to be on the common room is that if someone is looking for someone who could visit a  particular cemetery  in a particular place.To take an inscription from a Headstone. The first place as you say is the county or Country the Cemetery is in. Members do that all the time,unfortunately a lot go unanswered.I have just been going through Scotland and Ireland , counties, on both myself. There's quiet a lot of requests going back still unanswered.So the topic will act as a sort of index or stepping stone.If a person gets no responce in the area they want.They may find one on this topic. Thats how i started mine.I offered to do a look up for a lady as a one off  ;D I then started getting request till in the end i went solo ;D Maybe the members here will do the same.For now i think we would all agree we want to stay together.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I agree with Celia  :) I think the idea of having a 'grave investigation' lookup board in the Common Room is a very good one, for two reasons:

1. Perhaps people new to Rootschat don't always realise the kind of help they can get - whereas, if there is a specific section they can be sure not to miss it.

2. I will do lookups in Northamptonshire but sometimes I may go to another part of the country (holidays, own research etc.) and would be willing to do lookups there - it would be so much easier to advertise this on a Common Room board than to have to go to separate counties.

Just two thoughts  :)  :)

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 09:41 BST (UK) »
 What a great idea..
                Having just got back from Malta, taken some photo's
                  for another fellow, whose family are from there.

Having one place for stones is good otherwise different countries as well.

I also found a stone in the bush ( South Africa) took a photo just in case.
                 This could be posted on it, as I have no idea where the family would be from,
               also, how would they know I've got a photo?

:)  Lesanne.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I agree it's a great idea to keep Gravestone lookups in one place.

I went to one the other day at put up some pictures as a teaser so will see what happens:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,79272.0.html

Trouble is in time this will disappear from the Shropshire Pages!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 19:21 BST (UK) »
Yes that's one of problems when you put them on one page.
I found that out myself, until i got it stickied it moved down so fast i could never find it.

Maggie
When you say you will do Look ups do you mean you will go to the library to do a burial lookup  for a given year on a film for a given cemetery for a person.So you can find the gravestone. That is a lookup. Or do you mean you will wonder aimlessly around burial plots  thats have thousands of graves. In the hope of finding a grave ;)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
I have been doing burial lookups for some time now and i take  it seriously.I have tried looking for  gravestones when i am told where they are(which plot)only last week in fact.Great i thought i don't have to travel to town,I don't drive.The plot was very large.A council cemetery by the way.All headstons have numbers,i walked along every row scrutinizing every stone. it took me a long time,Pulled grass away from the fallen ones.I never found it. There was also lots of empty spaces where stones once stood.So i now have to go and do a burial lookup this week so i can find the stone for the lady who is patiently waiting for the information. I just wasted my time because i was lazy wont be doing that again.Thats the hard way.I suppose if i was looking in a small churchyard i would have found it ,but i wasn't.I have never been in a churchyard in my life.So if you are all serious about helping find G,Grandads grave for his G.Grandson in Germany. Make it clear that you don't or can't do burial lookups.There is no such thing as a gravestone lookup ;D but you could call yourself  a stone seeker ;D  ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia,

Yes I will visit the library to do a burial look-up and then visit the cemetery to see if I can find the gravestone - if it exists.  I can then photograph it and pass it on with the information I have looked up.

I also visit graveyards to find my own ancestors and I can do that for other people if they have ancestors in the same vicinity.  Equally, if folks simply want a photo of a specific area I am visiting - I will do that too.  When I visit graveyards for my own research - I always photograph the surrounding area.  This is especially relevant when it is a small country churchyard.  If I can get into the church - which I can more often than not, and I'm allowed to take photographs, I do that too.

I think it's interesting finding out the vicinity where ancestors are buried especially if a gravestone cannot be located.  In our area some of the older gravestones are being demolished for 'safety' reasons so locating specific ones is almost impossible - a picture of the area is the next best thing.

Sorry to go on, but I got the slight impression that my seriousness as a researcher was being brought into question.. :(

Maggie
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire