Author Topic: David Prothero / Anne Thomas Prothero - any family there in Wales?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Windy Meadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Prothero / Anne Thomas Prothero - any family there in Wales?
« on: Saturday 31 March 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am looking for any family of my great, great, grandfather David Prothero (1805-1867) & Anne Thomas (1821-1865?) who were married in Brecknockshire on Nov 26, 1841.  They had nine children in total; Ann, Elizabeth, David, Tim, Henry, William, John, Margaret and Mary. David and Anne are buried in Llanddetty church from what I can tell, along with their daughter Ann (1842-1862).
David was born in Carnycadarn while Anne was born in Llanstephan, Radnorshire.
Their son David was my great grandfather (1847-1903). He emigrated to Australia on the ship "Lightning" in 1876 via Glenelg SA.  The attached photo was taken in 1880 in Adelaide South Australia.
Thank you for any assistance.
Jeff
Prothero

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Prothero / Anne Thomas Prothero - any family there in Wales?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Jeff, and welcome to Rootschat.

I live in the area of Wales where your ancestors lived, although I'm afraid I can't claim to have any knowledge of them, other than the places where they lived.  However, I see there is a tree online which contains information regarding this family:

https://www.myheritage.com/names/timothy_prothero

Kind regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Windy Meadows

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 March 18 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi GS,
Thanks for your quick response! I too found that listing for Timothy. Funny thing is that he had never come up in any of my previous searches until tonight! All the other siblings did but not him.
Thanks again. 
Prothero

Offline Just6stepsaway

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 February 21 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it looks like we are 3rd cousins.  Your great-grandfather David and my great-grandmother Margaret were siblings.  She married John Jones and had 9 children including Elizabeth ("Bessie") Jones, my grandmother.  Elizabeth then married William James Brace and had 4 children, of which 3 survived to adulthood, one of them my mother. They all lived in and around Ebbw Vale, although my mother soon moved to London in the late 1920s, which is where I grew up.  If you want more details I can provide you what I know, and it would be fun to know more about the Australian branch, especially since my nephew has just married an Italian Australian!
I actually found your post while googling for Carnycadarn, which Google seems to think doesn't exist!  Do you know does it have an alternative name (Carn Y Cadarn doesn't work either)