Author Topic: Deborah Turfery/Turfrey. Witney, Oxfordshire?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline LindaN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Deborah Turfery/Turfrey. Witney, Oxfordshire?
« on: Sunday 01 April 18 05:35 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to follow my TURFREY line without much luck and am hoping someone may have some ideas/access to records.

I have found that my 5th G Grandmother was Deborah TUFREY and she married Jonathan BUNDOCK in 1795 at St Leonards, Shoreditch. She died in 1820 and was buried in Bermondesy, on this record her birth was given as abt. 1767.

I cannot seem to find birth/baptism records for her anywhere. I found a family tree on familysearch that records the family as being from Witney, Oxfordshire and her father being Richard. They don't provide their sources so I am wanting to confirm this myself.

All of the websites I have tried don't seem to have any information about the family. (Ancestry, Familysearch records, Freereg, Oxfordshire FHS, Google).

Does anyone have any other ideas or access to records that I don't have? Thank you. 
Prangnell, Chapman, How, Mumford, Henwood, Owen, Wormald, Robins, Bendall, Turner, Ayton, Watts, Baker, Wiltshire, Longman, Moody, Talbot.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deborah Turfery/Turfrey. Witney, Oxfordshire?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 April 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
They seem to have had several children; Louisa 1796; Alfred 1798; Edwy 1800; and also Caroline; Eliza; Henry and Martha Louisa- could not find dates for them. However the banns are online for Deborah and Jonathan, and it states that she was of this parish, which was Shoreditch.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline ACT61

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 April 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
From Oxford FHS CD Hailey baptisms

Deborah Turfery 19.4.1767 d. Richard & Mary

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
Bletchingdon
Richard Turfrey [X] of the parish of Witney m. Mary Prickett [X] otp
by licence
this 28th day of November One thousand 7 hundred and fifty five*
witnesses: John Swift
                William Bathe [frequent witnesses]

*the previous marriage in the register was dated 1757 and the following one 1758. The licence bond  was dated 1757, so I think this is an error in the parish register.  The bond also gives Richard's parish as Hailey:

http://whipple.org/oxford/4_alpha_by_brides_names.pdf
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk