Author Topic: What uniform is he wearing  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What uniform is he wearing
« on: Sunday 01 April 18 07:45 BST (UK) »
I seem to have done some very sloppy research last Summer and now have no idea where I obtained this photo from or even if it is really the person I hoped it was!
Please can anyone confirm what uniform he is wearing and an approximate date for the photo.
I was trying to find more information about William Cartwright who was an officer with the 9th Royal Veteran Battalion and whilst googling for more information I remember this photograph appeared but I'm now doubting it is truly William as I cannot replicate my search or trace my source.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: What uniform is he wearing
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 April 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
Lots on him on Google. Attached one Link, there are more.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/17537/page/2084/data.pdf.

The portrait looks like a Regular to me. Hairstyle suggests around 1800 and after. Coat looks like pre 1797/1800. Buff facings and gold lace could be 27th (pale), 40th, 48th or 61st.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 18 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Regorian. I know from his son's baptism in 1808 that William was an ensign with the Royal Veterans based at Edinburgh Castle.

Researching him is confusing as the document you found is dated 1819 and there is a William Cartwright mentioned under Captain of companies and another William Cartwright to be an ensign.

I have to ask myself how many William Cartwrights there are! He also seems to move battalions a lot.

I do wonder if I made a mistake with the portrait and it is not him at all!
Best wishes HL

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 11:20 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

If you read Regorians link you will notice the word "late" with each entry, this is the key word.

Originally raised in 1802 as Royal Garrison Battalions, titles changed to Royal Veterans in 1804. There were I think about 12 battalions altogether and all were disbanded by 1816.

Four new battalions were raised in 1818/1819 and if you look at start of first column in Regorians link it says "4th battalion". The list is of all the officers appointed to this battalion and where they came from.

In the case of your man, he was appointed ensign in the new 4th battalion and came from the "late 9th battalion".

Whether or not the picture is actually of him would probably need more research. No battalion can be ascertained from the picture.

These battalions were raised to give employment to men no longer fit for front line duty.
F
John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
If that miniature portrait is a faithful image, and I think it is, most likely is 27th Regiment (Inniskilling's). Pale buff facings. He has two epaulettes so not a subaltern.

Added: I regret to say that there does not seem to be any connection with the Miniature. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
I have to ask myself how many William Cartwrights there are! He also seems to move battalions a lot.

There are 4 William Cartwrights in the 1814 Army List

-The Ensign in the 9th Royal Veteran Regiment (who has a seniority date of 10 September 1807).
-The Captain in the 5th Royal Veteran Regiment
-A Colonel in the 3rd Dragoons
-A Lieutenant General
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you John915, ShaunJ and Regorian. At the time of downloading the image I felt convinced it was my man but failed to note why I thought this. Fast forward many months and I've picked him up again to double check my information and source......but cannot find the image anywhere on the internet! Hence my post.

I did find records for him on TNA which may help but unfortunately they don't seem available online. I may be able to send for them though and that's my next course of action.

I didn't realise there were 4 William Cartwrights in the Army at that time....I thought it was only 2 and so that doesn't help.Of course it is not an unusual name though.

Thank you for your help.
Best wishes HL

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
Back again,

I have to agree with Regorian as to the regt depicted, I wasn't sure whether the facings are pale buff or white.

However, Hamilton Smith's charts (uniform and facings colours) 1812 show the veterans battalions to have dark blue facings.

Also agree with date of uniform so may be worthwhile exploring his previous record. It may be that the picture is of him prior to being in a veterans battalion. It could be him in the uniform of a Line regt in the late 1790s.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks John915. He does look very young and I found info about the blue facings, which he doesn't have so it does look likely this was taken during the early part of his career. If it is even William!

I have just found reference to a William Cartwright in the 27th regiment so that may be progress.

Not sure if the record on TNA will be a comprehensive history of his service or just his movements whilst in the 9th veterans.
Best wishes HL