Author Topic: What uniform is he wearing  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What uniform is he wearing
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks for that information John915 .... you learn something new every day. 

Sounds like I'm still in with a chance of this being an image of my William. ....but still confused over his service.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
He possibly died in Guernsey in 1821 and the information about his death in the Saunders News Letter states he was a Captain with the 5th Royal Veterans. (May not be him?)

That's not your Ensign from the 9th RV.

Hi SaunJ. Why do you say this is not my ensign from the 9th? Just curious why you say that as I was hoping he may have risen in rank and moved battalions between 1808 and 1821. I really don't get Military stuff though  :)
Best wishes HL

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
I take in all you say John. How could I have mis ID'd the uniform? The 90th was raised by Colonel Graham in Perthshire in 1794. They had white facings and cuffs.
                                                                                                                                        https://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/Britain/Infantry/Regiments/c_90thFoot.html.

Above Link is best. On return to UK uniforms were probably standard 1800 to 1811 type but buff collar and cuffs, except being light infantry (not official until 1815) wore the 1800 to 1811 shako with green plume and did not have the Belgic/Waterloo shako 1812 to 1815. They are shown as such whilst in Canada in War of 1812.

I am trying to post some images but having trouble.

See 90th Regiment Images:-

Soldier 1801 by Charles Stadden.
90th Regiment 1812 - 1814 Canada.
Kings and Regimental Colours 1801 - 1817.
Officer 90th regiment.
King's and Regimental Colours 1794 - 1801.

Other Thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=657677.0

I would have thought these two Threads would answer all the questions, perhaps William downsized himself from regulars due to bilharzia, 90th marched all the way to Cairo and back, have a paddle in the Nile and there goes your liver. Roman Catholic wife, he was in the theatre to meet her.

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
The baptism records in 1808 for Williams twin children say he is an ensign in the Royal Veterans. After his wife's death he remarried and another son was born in Orkney but it would appear there is no baptism. 

This morning I have found another daughter born in 1816 and the record was dated 1836 when she was finally baptised. The record states Elizabeth Cartwright was born in 1816, the daughter of William Cartwright and Elizabeth Gordon, both now deceased. The record also states that William Cartwright was sometime Captain in the 9th Veteran Battalion.

Joining the dots up in a strange fashion could this mean that William Cartwright was the man who died in Guernsey in 1821 (who was a Captain in the Royal Veterans) and therefore the man in the portrait since the records under the portrait states he died in Guernsey in 1821......or am I being too fanciful?
Best wishes HL

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
Have to leave it to you good people, I'm confused ???
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
This morning I have found another daughter born in 1816 and the record was dated 1836 when she was finally baptised. The record states Elizabeth Cartwright was born in 1816, the daughter of William Cartwright and Elizabeth Gordon, both now deceased. The record also states that William Cartwright was sometime Captain in the 9th Veteran Battalion.

Joining the dots up in a strange fashion could this mean that William Cartwright was the man who died in Guernsey in 1821 (who was a Captain in the Royal Veterans) and therefore the man in the portrait since the records under the portrait states he died in Guernsey in 1821......or am I being too fanciful?

I think Elizabeth was being fanciful. There was no Captain William Cartwright in the 9th Royal Veterans. There was an Ensign William Cartwright in the 9th who retired on full pay in 1819. He doesn't appear on the retired list in 1821 so presumably he died in 1820.

Scotland's People has a Will proved at Edinburgh on 5 January 1821 for a William Cartwright - possibly the man you are interested in.

The other William Cartwright who was a Captain in the 5th Royal Veterans (the man in the picture) appears to have retired about the same time. Google Books has this snippet about him:

Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society - Page 111 (1933)

"She married William Cartwright, Captain of the 90th Regiment of Foot, and subsequently, of the 6th Royal Veteran Battalion, died at his house in Guernsey, aforesaid, 19th July, 1821, buried there on the 21st of the same month. Married first, 26th May, 1794, at St. Peter's, Nottingham, Charlotte, daughter of James Bagnall, of St. Peter's Parish, Nottingham. Leaving issue both marriages. Elizabeth, second daughter, married 10th January, 1818, at St. Peter's Port, Guernsey, aforesaid, ..."

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun J that appears to knock the portrait and Guernsey death on the head.

I found the 1821 Will myself but was unable to read it! Perhaps I should try again.

If William died in 1821 his daughter would only have been 5 so she probably wouldn't remember his rank or regiment.
Best wishes HL

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
We can help with reading wills - post the bits you're having trouble with on the "Handwriting Deciphering & Recognition" board.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
Still raises the question of his first marriage to Valentina Rosa de Cruz though.

Their twins were baptised in Edinburgh but there seems to be no marriage record available. Valentina is presumably foreign and so maybe William married her whilst serving overseas.

As for posting sections of the Will......I can read none of it  ::)

Thanks though....I will look at it again and then post parts....good idea.
Best wishes HL