Author Topic: What uniform is he wearing  (Read 2851 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What uniform is he wearing
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

I think the portrait could still be your man. Despite what that site says about it being of an officer of the 90th foot. The facing colours are wrong for that regt.

It is more likely to be an officer in the 27th foot with pale buff facings. This was proposed by Regorian first then you found a William Cartwright in that regt. That to me ties in much better.

So I would say ignore all references to Capt Cartwright and Guernsey and to the 90th foot. I do 't think that is your man.

See also Glory1505's thread.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
We seem to be on two levels now :D. I think Captain Cartwright is our man. See reply 17 on other Thread. He married a Spanish? Lady and they lived in UK. What I am lacking is a good old family tree (down to 1850 would do). OP's don't seem to be keen on providing one. I will have to make it up myself.

You are an admirer of Charles Hamilton-Smith, so am I John. The V&A have an original. Don't know where he found the time. I believe he was attached to the Russian Staff during the Napoleonic invasion of 1812. I remember a quote of his re 1813, 'It was so mild we did not have to wear our greatcoats'.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
We are operating on two levels, as Regorian says. On one level, Hampshire Lass is researching an Ensign Cartwright of the 9th Royal Veterans who married Valentina Da Cruz. But this thread started with her query about the portrait she collected in her research last year, which transpires to be of Captain Cartwright of the 90th regiment if we believe the website found by Regorian  http://www.scottishmilitaryarticles.org.uk/smhsarticle_90th_Portrait.htm

From information in the Gazette, Ensign Cartwright of the 9th RV was previously Quarter Master of the 23rd Light Dragoons. He's not the man in the portrait but he is the man that the OP is interested in.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/16066/page/1217
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:32 BST (UK) »
This matter may have a long way to go Shaun. The captain of the 90th was in the right places to meet a Spanish Lady, Minorca, Cadiz and Malta.

We will see. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Glory1505

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
We seem to be on two levels now :D. I think Captain Cartwright is our man. See reply 17 on other Thread. He married a Spanish? Lady and they lived in UK. What I am lacking is a good old family tree (down to 1850 would do). OP's don't seem to be keen on providing one. I will have to make it up myself.

I can give you the family tree for ENSIGN William Cartwright as far as I've researched it for my line:

Ensign William Cartwright married Valinteena Rosa de Cruz (dates unknown for both of these)
Their children:
William and Isabella Cartwright (twins) b. 1808, Edinburgh, d. unknown

Suspected second marriage of William Cartwright (Snr) to Elizabeth Gordon in 1810
Their children:
George Waring Cartwright b. 1814, Orkney, d. 1880, Staffs
Elizabeth Cartwright b. 1816, Edinburgh, d. unknown

William Cartwright (Jnr) (b.1808) married Sarah Garner (1820-1850) in 1839, Rempstone, Notts
Their children:
William Cartwright (b. 1840, d. unknown)
Valinteena Rosa de Croix Cartwright (b. 1843, Wimeswold, Leics, d. 1908, Lambeth, London)
Joseph Garner Cartwright (b. 1846, Loughborough, d. 1913, Cornwall)

I can take it further if needed! Hope this helps!

(P.S. Valinteena has been spelt this way on their certificates/documents so I'm going with it!).
Letting, Clout, Boys, Rickard, Godfrey, Burnett, Rolfe

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Glory 1505, that sems to demolish Captain Cartwright of the 90th once and for all. I can't say that I'm happy, but the truth is the truth.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
The captain of the 90th was in the right places to meet a Spanish Lady, Minorca, Cadiz and Malta.

But he was already married, to Charlotte Bagnall.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
I remember WC's marriage to Charlotte but can't find it and more importantly the date.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 19:20 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I suppose this ruins my theory of the portrait not being 90th foot.

But with all we now know, Ensign William Cartwright 9th RVB has to be the correct man. He is certainly the only one who was present on Orkney.

But our Capt Cartwright intrigues me, did he have previous military service before the 90th, was he wealthy. The roll of officers show him as a lieutenant when they formed so did he buy a lieutenancy outright or did he sell a lower commission to help purchase his new rank.

He rose to captain for a few years but on return to England in 1802 disappears from the 90th roll.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)