Author Topic: What uniform is he wearing  (Read 2844 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What uniform is he wearing
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Just to note this while I remember, I think there is an error in this TNA catalogue entry:

Name: William Cartwright. Regiment: 9th Veteran Battalion. Date of Service: 1805.

Please Note: This item will now be found in WO 25/52B

WO25/52B should probably read WO25/752B
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 19:39 BST (UK) »
I'm confused!  :D

I'm very grateful for your input and research Regorian and ShaunJ but are we now saying "my" William Cartwright is not the man in the portrait? Or does the uniform indicate it may be him, with the information under the photo relating to Captain William Cartwright, who died in Guernsey?

There are just so many William Cartwrights and I really get confused with Military stuff  ;D

Thanks ShaunJ for the info about the TNA reference numbers. I did wonder myself if the reference was incorrect but then forgot to follow it up by seeing if I could order WO25/752B
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 21:01 BST (UK) »
I suggest you disregard the portrait unless you can recall its provenance being other than from the web page relating to the Captain.

You'll have seen my earlier discovery that the Ensign was until 1807 Quarter Master of the 23rd Light Dragoons. Ancestry's sister site FOLD 3 apparently has a record for a William Cartwright of that regiment being discharged at Kilmainham in July 1807, aged 32, from York, a Major General (doesn't seem likely! ). Needs investigating.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks ShaunJ.

I found the photo from the same website as Regorian and so it looks in unlikely to be him. Will carry on researching though 😀
Best wishes HL

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 05 August 18 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi all, just to say I have a little more information on William Cartwright now as I purchased the record from TNA.

It actually contains little information on his service but does list birth details of 10 of his 11 children (one of whom .....Isabella.....doubtless died) and also his second marriage in 1810.

Anyway, this document is signed by William Cartwright, late ensign RVB and then date stamped as received at the War Office on 27th November 1828. It states that for the last five years William has been resident in Leicester.

The page which contains service information states his age as 40 years on first appointment to His Majesty's Service on 10th September 1807. It states he was an ensign, without purchase, with the 9th Veteran Battalion.

Sadly there is no information about any previous service and so that is still a mystery. Just thought I would update the information here as it may be of interest to Glory1505.

Best wishes HL