Author Topic: What uniform is he wearing  (Read 2842 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What uniform is he wearing
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
His 1819 appointment to the 4th Royal Veterans did not happen - I wonder why?

See entry for Ensign Peter Mackay

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/17546/page/2311
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
I've looked at the 1805 list of all officers of the Army and Royal Marines. A William Cartwright was appointed Captain in the 7thRVB 15dec1800.

I looked at the 1795 list but could not find him. Perhaps he was not active or on half-pay. Perhaps not fit for active service and thus in an RVB.

The miniature shows him greying, perhaps 45 to 55.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
His movements and that of the various battalions folding and forming are hard to follow. The one fact I do know for sure is that in 1808 he was an ensign with the royal veterans based at Edinburgh Castle.

He possibly died in Guernsey in 1821 and the information about his death in the Saunders News Letter states he was a Captain with the 5th Royal Veterans. (May not be him?)

In 1808 he was based in the Orkneys, when his second son was born.
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Perhaps we have different people here with same name. Did you have any luck with the 27th Regiment?
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
He possibly died in Guernsey in 1821 and the information about his death in the Saunders News Letter states he was a Captain with the 5th Royal Veterans. (May not be him?)

That's not your Ensign from the 9th RV.

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
Better read this,

http://www.scottishmilitaryarticles.org.uk/smhsarticle_90th_Portrait.htm.

I have to look into this, an elder brother of my gggfather was in the 90th Regiment 1803 - 1817.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
His 1819 appointment to the 4th Royal Veterans did not happen - I wonder why?

There are a lot of appointments on that Gazette page which are vice someone whose appointment did not happen. Presumably there was some downsizing going on.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link to the portrait Regorian. At least I know where I found it now.

There is a lot of information under the portrait about his military history and I wonder now if this is my William since it states that in 1802 he left the regiment to become Captain with the 7th Royal Garrison Battalion.  I do know that the William Cartwright I am researching was an ensign with the 9th Royal Veterans in 1808.

Silly question........ if a young man with the "regular" army is of a high rank, when he is older and serving with a Veteran Battalion could he serve in a lower rank?
I'm guessing not but military research is not my forte.

I looked again at TNA and there is definitely records available for William Cartwright but they seem unobtainable despite stating it is an open document.  Maybe it wouldn't contain full information of his military movements anyway.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13329452
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

To go back to what Regorian said, the facings are pale buff although I thought they could also be white.

The 2nd link he has given showing the same portrait but ascribing him to the 90th foot is misleading I think. 90th foot facings were deep buff (pale brown describes it better) which is closer in colour to the crossbelt badge. Plus, 90th foot buttons were in pairs, we can't see the buttons but we can see the button holes in the facings and they are singles.

So is the portrait the man from 90th foot or HL's man in the veteran battalion, I would say not 90th foot.

9th veterans were in Edinburgh but from 1806? until they disbanded always had two company's in the Orkneys.

Commissions at that time in line regt's were purchased but i'm not sure about the veterans battalions. To advance you had to find a buyer for your existing commission and find the difference in price between that and the commission you wished to purchase. So we can disregard the dragoons officer and the general, unless this man was extremely wealthy or had come into wealth since his initial purchase. There would be quite a difference between the 27th and 90th foot for example just for an ensign. Regt'l seniority and past exploits meant much higher prices.

An officer  in a veteran battalion, maybe going on half pay, could be willing to sell and buy lower just to remain in employment.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)