Author Topic: Hunters, Charltons and Piggs  (Read 1046 times)

Offline sarah_robbo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hunters, Charltons and Piggs
« on: Sunday 01 April 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
I just wanted some help to check if I’m getting the right families here, some parish registers would have me believe that I’m on the right track but I’m not entirely convinced. I know I will need to order some certificates to prove but wanted someone to help iron out this - or connect if they have similar research! I hope this makes sense, just let me know if you need other info!

My 3rd GGPs on the Hunter side....

George Hunter (B. March 20, 1845, in Colwell, Northumberland) possibly to Jane Heddon and Robert Hunter.

He married Isabella Pigg (born in 1834 in Keepershield, Northumberland) possibly to Jane Forster and Roger Pigg.

Jane is older than George possibly with her son Thomas.

Isabella Pigg and George Hunter’s wedding is possibly in Hexham, Northumberland in July 1868.

Through the late 1800s and early 1900s I have Isabella and George living at the colliery in West Cramlington and then him at the secretary of the Coop in Cramlington and it seems they lived there too? I’ve got the same family through the census’ until 1911 and George and Isabella are still in Cramlington. But not got deaths for them.

Then on to Their son Thomas, who is my direct line 2GGF is....

Thomas Hunter/Pigg (Corbridge,
Northumberland) b Oct 1865 - d?

- on one census he’s listed as George’s stepson and birth I have is before his wedding to Isabella so could be the son of someone else. They have other children Jane, John and George W listed as children not step.

Thomas Hunter then Married Margaret Jane Charlton January 1887 in Hexham Northumberland.

Margaret Jane Charlton (Broomhaugh, Northumberland) b Jul 1867 - d Possibly during WW2 as my great grandmother returned to Northumberland to care for her while my Nan was in the Land Army

In 1939 they are Living at High Dyke Cottage, Alston , Haltwhistle R.D., Northumberland - and widowed daughter Sarah and two other people.

I’d like to get deaths for Margaret and Thomas for sure and hopefully find out more about Cramlington etc. And just to see if you think I’m on the right wavelength here!! My tree is ‘Robertson family research’ on Ancestry! 

Thank you in advance!
Main areas of research:

Robertson (Staffordshire/West Midlands)
Harrison (Staffordshire/Derbyshire)
Jinks/Jenks (Staffordshire)
Doughty (Staffordshire/Shropshire)
Hunter (Northumberland)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters, Charltons and Piggs
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 April 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thomas Pigg,mothers maiden name not recorded,Hexham, S 1/4 1865
Is possibly your Thomas's birth registration GRO,site
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 April 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Isabella was Bapt 20 Sep 1834, St Michael and All Angels, Warden, to ROGER/JANE
Fathers Occp Labourer
Abode Keeper Shield

Unfortunately there are 2 marriages for a Roger Pigg to a Jane;
18 Feb 1815 to Jane HOLDEN
03 Jul 1819 to Jane FORSTER

All on FreeREG

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Look like you are on the right track though with Jane as nee Forster;

1841 Census
Roger PIGG, 45, Ag Lab
Jane, 40
Thomas, 12
William, 10
ISABELLA, 7***
Mary, 4
Roger, 2

1851 Census
Roger Robson (PIGG)   62 born Whitfield
Jane Pigg   54 born Hexham
Mary Pigg   14
Roger Pigg   12
Isabella Forster   30

PIGG, ROGER, Mothers mn   FORSTER***
GRO Reference: 1839  S Quarter in THE HEXHAM UNION  Volume 25  Page 264

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 April 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
HUNTER, GEORGE, Mothers mn HEDDEN***
GRO Reference: 1845  J Quarter in TYNEMOUTH UNION  Volume 25  Page 413

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 April 18 11:44 BST (UK) »
if your after photographs,Northumberland communties site has some great photographs including the Co op store
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline sarah_robbo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 April 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks as ever Trish! You’re a star!
Main areas of research:

Robertson (Staffordshire/West Midlands)
Harrison (Staffordshire/Derbyshire)
Jinks/Jenks (Staffordshire)
Doughty (Staffordshire/Shropshire)