Author Topic: Christ Church bells will ring today - Lieut. Robert Morrison Hogg 1 April 1918  (Read 737 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The bells of Christ Church in North Shields will ring a quarter peal today to commemorate Lieutenant Robert Morrison Hogg.  He died in the Great War exactly one hundred years ago - 1 April 1918. 

He was a former bell ringer of Christ Church before enlisting in the Northumberland Fusiliers.  In March 1918 he received a gun shot wound to his head and was taken prisoner.  He died as a result of his wounds at German field hospital VI in Cologne and was buried in Cologne Southern Cemetery.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christ Church bells will ring today - Lieut. Robert Morrison Hogg 1 April 1918
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 April 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
For some fuller information on Lieutenant Robert Morrison Hogg I am attaching a link to the North East War Memorials website.  They have a photograph of him on there too.

http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1627&displayorder=81
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christ Church bells will ring today - Lieut. Robert Morrison Hogg 1 April 1918
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 April 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
For some fuller information on Lieutenant Robert Morrison Hogg I am attaching a link to the North East War Memorials website.  They have a photograph of him on there too.

http://www.newmp.org.uk/article.php?categoryid=99&articleid=1627&displayorder=81

I remember you posted before about the bell ringing in memory of another young man. Its a lovely way to remember those who gave their lives. Reading the bio and seeing the photo makes it all the more special.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 April 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
I agree Boo, - photos and background stories of those who served, died or were killed during the Great War helps to make us all more fully aware of the sacrifices that were made. 

Robert was the third of the three Christ Church bell ringers to die as a result of serving in the Great War.  I think this is a most fitting and beautiful way that Christ Church is commemorating each of these former bell ringers.

Happy Easter Day Boo and to Everyone! :)