Author Topic: what place is this in Inverurie please?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
what place is this in Inverurie please?
« on: Sunday 01 April 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi my great great grandparents are staying in Inverurie in 1871 census. Name George and Jane Still. I think it is Bakers Lane, but I cant find a bakers street in any map new or old. The other address on the page is West High St. Any other suggestions please?
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what place is this in Inverurie please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 April 18 01:22 BST (UK) »
Yes, it could be Bakers, but a lot of the first letter is not visable. It is also very tiny, so doubly difficult to see. Is there a number before the word? Although not too clear, there seems to be enough space for there to be more than one letter before "...akers".

Could you take a bigger snip and include some surrounding words so we can look at the style of writing and if there may be additional letters?

Added: looking again, I am not even sure if that is a k.  :-\
Are they at the same address in other censuses?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 April 18 01:34 BST (UK) »
This shows West High Street:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.62744092897659&lat=57.2853&lon=-2.3779&layers=6&right=BingHyb

You can see numerous little lanes running off it. None on this map are named. Presumably it will be one of those?

Sometimes you can narrow it down further by following the enumerator's route, and looking at the neighbours, but I understand you can't do this with Scottish records as you have to pay for each census page.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
It does show as Baker's Lane in other censuses too. Also on the Valuation Rolls from at least 1855 to up to the 1915 one.

You could also make a direct enquiry at the local library? www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/libraries/locations/local-libraries/inverurie-library/

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 April 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
Sometimes you can narrow it down further by following the enumerator's route, and looking at the neighbours, but I understand you can't do this with Scottish records as you have to pay for each census page.
You can do it, but yes, if you look at the images on SP you have to pay for each one.

However you can do it free of charge by looking at microfilms in libraries, and if it's on FreeCEN. The 1871 census for Inverurie has been transcribed by FreeCEN.

The transcription says the Still family were at 2 Bakers Lane, and the addresses on either side of the households listed in Bakers Lane are 35 and 37 West High Street.

At the moment 35 West High Street is Wills the chemists. 37 West High Street doesn't come up in an online search. Wills Chemists is almost opposite the TSB (though it may not be a bank any longer as there is a programme of wholesale bank closures going on just now).

I imagine that the Garioch Heritage Society would be able to pinpoint the exact location. See https://gariochheritage.co.uk/
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 April 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74477931
This is a link to an 1892 map, which was surveyed in 1864 -1866. Although the lane is not named, the scale is so large (25 inch to the mile),you can make out individual houses.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 April 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
I did look at this originally in the hope it might include house numbers.

On West High Street, there are two spots marked with a cross and a number, one of them 189 (at the south end of Constitution Street) and the other 192 - probably indicating the height above sea level in feet. About a third of the way from 189 to 192 there seems to be an alley or cul-de-sac south of the street. I speculate that this could be Bakers Lane.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 April 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
I looked at streetview on google and there is a side alley/road next to the Wills Chemist you mention, Forfarian. I wondered whether this could be what is left of the lane location today? It is unnamed.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 April 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
I looked at streetview on google and there is a side alley/road next to the Wills Chemist you mention, Forfarian. I wondered whether this could be what is left of the lane location today? It is unnamed.
Could be.

I just asked someone who used to live in Inverurie but he hadn't heard of Bakers Lane.