Author Topic: what place is this in Inverurie please?  (Read 4138 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: what place is this in Inverurie please?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 April 18 21:48 BST (UK) »
The lane next to the Chemist is Chelsea Lane (I googled the barber in the back). 

And I asked these ladies http://www.frombakerylane.com in Inverurie on the promise I would visit in June.  But, despite their name they didn't know either.  I'm still going to visit.

The older maps show a lane where the gate is on the east side of the bank on the corner of Constitution perhaps there at some point.   

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 April 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
The older maps show a lane where the gate is on the east side of the bank on the corner of Constitution perhaps there at some point. 
The bank is on the even-numbered side of West High Street so it won't be there.

Chelsea Close is listed in the 1871 census, between 27 and 25 West High Street, so it isn't that one. Chelsea Road is between 45 and 43 West High Street.

This map http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=57.2849&lon=-2.3771&layers=168&b=1 shows Chelsea Road. I reckon Bakers Lane has to be the next lane to the right of Chelsea Road, just below the EE of West High Street, and Chelsea Close is probably the L-shaped one next to the right again. It would be better if I could find a map showing both Chelsea Close and Chelsea Road!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 07:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!

It never cease to amaze me the level of expertise in the answers you get on here. But it is the degree of helpfulness, to go that extra bit to help make a simple enquiry that much more interesting, that is so amazing.

Cheers.
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
I asked these ladies http://www.frombakerylane.com in Inverurie
This post code isn't in the town of Inverurie - it's out in the sticks somewhere several miles west, which could be why they don't know about Bakers Lane in the town.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
Just realised that Don found Chelsea Lane next to the chemist, while the census has Chelsea Road and Chelsea Close.

Just to confuse matters the post code directory lists Chelsea Place AB51 3SR and Chelsea Road AB51 3PL but Chelsea Lane is listed under West High Street as AB51 3QQ and seems to contain only one address. There is no listing of Chelsea Close.

I speculate that what was Chelsea Close in 1871 has been re-named Chelsea Place, and what was Bakers Lane in 1871 has been re-named Chelsea Lane.

The Heritage Society remains your best bet.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 April 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
The Heritage Society remains your best bet.

They were very helpful with
Baker Lane (Sandison was the baker, apparently) became Geal's Lane and is now Douglas Lane.

But google maps doesn't have Douglas Lane marked.
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 April 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
Will Chemist is listed as 35 to 37 West High Street, Inverurie. The present building is dated as
FA 1909.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lv3/

This would tend to suggest that the original buildings have been removed and replaced, and Bakers Lane would have ran through to the rear of the Chemists, where Esquire hairdressers are now, only if the street numbering has not changed over the years.

Malky

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 April 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
Douglas Lane is marked on the "north side" adjacent to Marmari and the Nickel & Dime.  You can see it in Street View further west than thought.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 April 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
Douglas Lane is marked on the "north side" adjacent to Marmari and the Nickel & Dime.  You can see it in Street View further west than thought.

Don

Thank you! So in the old nls map that Forfarian linked it looks like the unnamed lane leading to Burns Lane (now Western Rd)
Caithness; Sutherland