Author Topic: Surname differences  (Read 4191 times)

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
Re: Surname differences
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
I always leave it as it is found on the record (which, after all, could actually be correct). It's much easier to find later, as I discovered with all the wonderful ways it's possible to spell McLeod or McGhee.
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 07:30 BST (UK) »
But which record ?

..1 person has 7 different spellings on censuses marriage  birth

When i.m looking for people with  matching trees on Ancestry  or other sites I won't find matches if all my ancestors are on my tree with our current spelling ....so i think the advice given about name from birth record is best

Where birth  isn't found yet .I use the most frquent

My great grandfather Malcolm was mistranscribed as Welcom. On 1 census .If anyone has him on their tree wee know its the right family not another malcolm macd
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:09 BST (UK) »
I always leave it as it is found on the record (which, after all, could actually be correct). It's much easier to find later, as I discovered with all the wonderful ways it's possible to spell McLeod or McGhee.

Here's my doosie - 1871 London census transcription - surname is actually Mathews!  I've come across it spelt with 2 t's plenty of times, that's not so bad, but a Marhew, a Maghews, and this one below really takes the biscuit! May J. Mathues is actually Mary Jane Mathews, her husband, John J Mathews is actually John G. Mathews, Julia Stacey, who was their servant, was actually Julia Stacey! At least they got 1 name right!   ;D

Name   Age
Henry M Mathues   25
May J Mathues   53
John J Mathues   53
Jane Mathues   27
Alice Mathues   2
Richard Mathue   21
Robert W Mathues   15
Julia Stacey   17
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:21 BST (UK) »

Here's my doosie - 1871 London census transcription - surname is actually Mathews!  I've come across it spelt with 2 t's plenty of times, that's not so bad, but a Marhew, a Maghews, and this one below really takes the biscuit! May J. Mathues is actually Mary Jane Mathews, her husband, John J Mathews is actually John G. Mathews, Julia Stacey, who was their servant, was actually Julia Stacey! At least they got 1 name right!   ;D

Name   Age
Henry M Mathues   25
May J Mathues   53
John J Mathues   53
Jane Mathues   27
Alice Mathues   2
Richard Mathue   21
Robert W Mathues   15
Julia Stacey   17

But phonetically, Mathews, Mathews and Mathues are the same! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MKG

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Warts and all, they're all mine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
I take your point, brigidmac. However, when I was doing my research (and, I have to say, when some very nice people on here were doing my research for me as I was a complete dumb-brain for a while) I found that I often wanted to go back to specific records. Using the name as it is on the record you're looking for helps there.
In my mind, certainly, all my McLeods are spelled just so, although they range on records from McLeod to McCloud to Mackloud to just Cloud and anything in-between.
I suppose it's all down to what you're most comfortable with. As long as those pesky ancestors who insist upon hiding away are finally winkled out, everyone's happy.
Griffiths, Howard, Johnson, McLeod, Rizz(a)(i)(o)
Berwick (Tweedmouth and Spittal), Blyth(N'land) between the wars, Wrexham, Tattersett

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 08:29 BST (UK) »
KG, Fortunately, I knew all their Christian names,,  ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Also worth noting that when working from transcriptions there can be some misreading of original document .  H. Sometimes looks like M..
Nearly missed one  Hallis written Mellis. And 1 census had same family as Wallace !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Always worth looking at the original document, rather than transcriptions, to see what you can make of the handwriting ;D
Some of it is awful!! :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 May 18 23:49 BST (UK) »
If I just use the name I think it was meant to be (or the name it developed into) someone coming later who might want to double check my details will be looking for someone under the wrong name.

I can't say I agree with this as we all have different ways of recording our variations of names i.e. I think people who have been 'reading up' on genealogy will have learned to look for differences in spellings.
I have a family of 11 children with 4 different surname spellings on their BCs with only 4 of them having the same surname spelling of my 1st doc. with the father's surname spelling from his marriage to my 2 x g g/aunt (sis of my 2 x g g/mother).

There's no correct way to record our info. as we'd be here for ever trying to work it out with no real  solution  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"