Author Topic: Did Ann Robin Banks ever marry?  (Read 1705 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Did Ann Robin Banks ever marry?
« on: Monday 02 April 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Ann Robin Banks, parents Air Commodore Francis Rodwell Banks, mother Christine Constance Grant Langlands was born in Brentford in 1931. She became a well-known artist, working among other media in enamel. She shared a London studio with painter John Bainbridge Copnall (1928-2007). She lived latterly on the Isle of Arran, where her mother's family originated, and she died in Barcelona on 17 September 2007, her surname being recorded in all sources so far found as Banks. So far so good.

The reason for my interest in her is that family sources say that she married a relative of mine, Geoffrey Peter Hately Waddell (1921-1982). However we have been unable to find any definite evidence to support this. When Geoffrey married someone else in 1965, he said he was a bachelor, and his wife died just five years later. So if he also married Ann Robin Banks, either they must have been divored before 1965, and Geoffrey lied about his marital status, or they must have been married after 1970. Or the whole thing is a figment of someone's imagination.

Ideas, anyone?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Did Ann Robin Banks ever marry?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 April 18 12:29 BST (UK) »
I have had family stories that didn't agree with the original paper trail only to have them confirmed when I had a wider spread of data available through Ancestry and FindMyPast. I have also known family scandals sanitised when recounted to me. Could they have simply been "living in sin"?

Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 April 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Depending on how long she was living in Barcelona prior to her death, is it possible they married there?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 April 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Could they have simply been "living in sin"?
They could.

Depending on how long she was living in Barcelona prior to her death, is it possible they married there?
She was living in Arran shortly before her death, but it is possible that they married in Spain or indeed somewhere else.

I was under the impression that the (now putative) marriage to Ann Robin Banks pre-dated his other marriage, but the fact that he called himself a bachelor calls that into question, unless he was lying in order to avoid the stigma of being divorced.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sophie Collins

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 April 18 18:45 BST (UK) »
I'm her niece; no, she never married, although she was engaged once or twice in youth I think, so there may have been an engagement.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 April 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sophie, that's very kind of you. I really appreciate you letting me know.

I wonder how someone got the wrong end of the stick about her? Very odd.