Author Topic: myheritageDNA chromosome browser  (Read 1231 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
myheritageDNA chromosome browser
« on: Monday 02 April 18 15:32 BST (UK) »
Has anybody had any success with the new myheritageDNA chromosome browser? It was updated last month to include triangulation with up to 7 matches at a time.

It's a pity I have had so little luck at myheritage, mainly due to the lack of trees by so many people, and what trees there are not so easy to navigate as those at ancestryDNA (yes, I know we all bemoan the lack of trees at ancestry, but it is far worse at other sites).

My husband's great neice has tested there, and is his closest match. No other confirmed matches.

I have found two close matches, related paternal matches, descended from my great grandparents. And one more distant one, a 7th cousin.  So only three confirmed matches in total for me.

As far as triangulation goes, the first cousins twice and three times removed may prove useful, the distant one probably not at all, and my husband's match unlikely to give anything new, as most of the shared matches will be the same people anyway.

But it is a step in the right direction, and puts myheritageDNA ahead of some other sites as far as tools are concerned.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: myheritageDNA chromosome browser
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to upload my daughter's raw DNA from Ancestry to MyHeritage but can't get it to work. I keep getting an error message.

I don't have any other family members on there to use as a control for the chromosome matches and triangulation.

At least...that's if I've understood the principles of how it works correctly ::) ??? ;D
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
As I understand it, may be incorrect, the best way of sorting matches out is to have a mother, father and child all tested. You can then see what has been inherited from each parent, and child can assign them as paternal and maternal on each chromosome.

Without this, if you match someone in the same place on the same chromosome, you cannot be sure whether it has been inherited from the father or the mother, so a promising match could prove false.

Again, as I understand it, open to correction, if you have fairly close matches and can identify MRCA, you can use those matches to triangulate that line.

That is, my paternal first cousin twice removed can be used to help triangulate a new match who matches in the same place on the same chromosome. The new match could still be a false match, or a maternal match, but the more you find, the stronger the connectIon becomes, but you preferably still need some sort of paper trail to confirm. Adoptees sometimes have no paper trail whatsoever, but can still find out about their probable parentage.

However, there are common pile up areas, where lots of people will match you, but perhaps from a long time ago.

I have had relatively few matches outside ancestry, so am hoping to learn more about this, but it seems a slow process (the learning that is).

Keep on trying with myheritageDNA, haven't had any problems uploading there myself, only at ftDNA, where you need to use a third party tool.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to upload my daughter's raw DNA from Ancestry to MyHeritage but can't get it to work. I keep getting an error message.

I don't have any other family members on there to use as a control for the chromosome matches and triangulation.

At least...that's if I've understood the principles of how it works correctly ::) ??? ;D

I've tried uploading my wife's raw data from FTDNA Family Finder to MyHeritage, but the size of the file is over 23MB and it takes forever to upload, so I've aborted the mission.

Harry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 10:20 BST (UK) »

Not sure if you've got it working by now but I found that by removing the hyphen and date part of the folder name, it works - just leave it named as dna-data.  I've not got it to upload to FTdna yet though. I gather there are a lot of people with this problem.

I'm finding My Heritage analysis tools far superior to Ancestry's. Trees are a problem on both though.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Jill, tell us your error message, exactly.  Have you tried searching for it, or part of it?

This is a helpful link, not just for gedmatch .

http://www.genie1.com.au/blog/78-tips-for-using-gedmatch

Martin

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Try using this tool to upload your Ancesrty Raw Data to FTDNA

http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php

Kim

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so, Kim.  It worked  :D

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***