Author Topic: Pioneer Royal engineers  (Read 1277 times)

Offline copperplumber2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pioneer Royal engineers
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again
I def got more pages when I looked at service records on my phone, compared to computer ( it is slow ) Now I know there all there on phone, I'll make sure to find them on computer, so I can print them
Much appreciated
Mark

Offline copperplumber2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
MaxD
If you don't mind me picking your brains again ;-/ can you let me know if on johns service record 1917 it has a sheet (army form B103) casualty form- active service.

There are dates embarked 6/4/17 and then disembarked 6/4/17 with these dates in the Date of Casualty column. Would this indicate an injury and a casevac, or are/were the records just wrote in a certain manner (a bit jumbled) and the casualty column isn't really that ?
Cheers Mark

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
Mark

What FindMyPast has as two sets of documents are in fact all one set from the National Archives WO 363 "Burnt documents".shuffled up a bit .  Some are duplicates because they have been copied twice and some because, as often happens, when a man's docs were sent around the place, if they were late coming and an entry had to be made, the clerks simply started another form.  If you look closely, there are four 103s but actually 2 copies of two where the one you refer to has him leaving UK and arriving France the same day.  Ancestry has them in one set including some duplicates.

In army jargon, a casualty is an occurrence/event of some kind (which can also sometimes be a medical casualty), the centre column of the form shows what sort of thing is recorded there.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline copperplumber2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 April 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Max