Author Topic: Locating Cemetery  (Read 5080 times)

Offline Bruce McAlister

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Locating Cemetery
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there Emyr,
Thank you very much for that information.  That is wonderful news.  I'm so happy that I now know which cemetery my mother is buried in.  I look forward to knowing where here grave site is.  If as you said previously that the small gravestone has gone missing is correct, I will need to organise to replace.
Thank you ever so much for your time, effort and assistance in finding where my mother is buried.  I'm eternally grateful, I don't know how I can repay you for what you have done.  Thank you for your help, it is tremendous.
Kindest Regards
Bruce
 :) ;) :D ;D

Online nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
Good news Emyr ... I will be interested to know where it is if you would like to pm me. Well done for all your hard work ....we must try and get to the bottom of our dna match one day 😂
Nesta

Online nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 22:35 BST (UK) »
Bruce .... So pleased that you will finally have some closure .... should  decide on replacing the stone don’t rely on the internet - contact me to get the names of local ones . I’m sure Emyr would say the same .
Nesta

Offline Bruce McAlister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 00:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there Nesta,
I'm eternally grateful for your assistance, it is relief to finally know which cemetery that my mother is buried at, and that shortly I will know the whereabouts at the cemetery which is my mother's grave. My brother at the time 7 and myself 10 were not allowed by our father to attend the funeral service.

Thank you for your offer to provide the names of companies that could replace the grave/head stone.  It is my desire for this to happen however, I will need to discuss with my brother Brian.

I'm ever so gratefull for your assistance and the assistance from Emyr, it is so pleasant and nice to know of that there are people who are so willing to assist total strangers, thank you.

I can't thank you enough, my brother and I now can pass on the information to our children as to where our mother is buried.

Kind Regards
Bruce

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
Good news, been up to Bethel this morning and found the grave. There's a new gravestone on it, probably placed after the information in the Monument Inscription booklet was recorded. The grave is covered with 2 slate slabs, surrounded by slate kerb and with a slate headstone, all on a concrete base. Slate is  the traditional material for this area and looks better in my opinion than the material that's taken over, and the work and material is of good quality.
She is buried in her parents grave:  William Jones, Institute, Tremadog, died 21/10/1940, aged 54yrs, and his wife Jennie Jones, died 15/06/1948, aged 52yrs. (this part of the inscription is in Welsh).
It goes on in English:
Also their daughter CATHERINE, beloved wife of COLIN McALISTER and mother of BRUCE & BRIAN. Passed away February 17.  1965, aged 38 years.
MY LOVE.
At the bottom there's a Welsh couplet:
"Eu henwau'n perarogli sydd,
A'û hun mor dawel yw."

There's a white stone flower holder on the grave with flowers a few weeks old in it. The word "MAM"
  (MOTHER) and initials "EW" are painted on it.

Will make further enquiries re possible relations living in the area, and will contact you by PM as living or recently dead persons can not be named on the Public Board.
Emyr

Offline Bruce McAlister

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there Emyr,
Thank you very much for your assistance, I can't respond fully to your email as I'm too emotional.  When I read the information I just breakdown, it is very raw at the moment.  When I have settled and calmed down I shall respond fully to you.
However, thank you very much for all the work, time and effort that you have put into finding this information for me, my younger brother and our respective families, it is greatly appreciated.  Any chance of obtaining a photo.
Shall respond again hopefully within a day or two.
Kindest Regards
Bruce

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Bit 'pissed' at the moment, been enjoying an Australian wine and going for a walk  before it gets dark to 'clear my head'! Bethel cemetery or Minffordd was the obvious choice for the year of death, but various issues complicated the research. Can't name people still alive or recently dead on the Public Board, but without information from and co-operation of, a number of local contacts, and a bit of luck, I would probably, partly because of mis-infomation, not succeeded. 'nestagj' is more knowledgeable about Dolbenmaen area than me. She is related to me according to DNA test, but I can't find the connection - my father and his mother were both 'illegitimate' which complicates the situation! I'll contact her to see how we can further help you.
Will contact you by PM in next few days.
EMYR

Online nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hello both
Yes will help in anyway I can .. I have an illegitimate grandmother too Emyr 😂 enjoy the wine you deserve it !
Can you pm me the grave location I’ll try and get a picture over the weekend .
My grandparents and uncle are there too so I’ll take some flowers for them 😄 I’ll put sone on your mum too Bruce !
Nesta

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 30 April 18 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have sent you  PM re  2 cousins of yours living in the area - will contact them. Also report of your mother's death.
Reports of funeral and move to Australia:
Caernarvon & Denbigh Herald Fri.  Feb. 26th 1965:
PORTMADOC  - FUNERAL:
The funeral took place on Saturday at Tremadoc Churchyard, of Mrs Catherine McAllister, 14 Glanmorfa Terrace, Tremadoc. The officiating ministers were the vicar, I Morgan Jones, and the Rev. T J Morris. The chief mourners were Mr Percy McAllister (husband) and two young sons, Bruce and Brian.

CAERNARVON & Denbigh HERALD  Friday  14/05/1965
PORTMADOC - FOR AUSTRALIA:
Mr Colin McAlister and his 2 children, Bruce and Brian, of Glanmorfa Terrace, Trefadoc, left on Saturday for Australia, where they intend to live in future. On the previous Sunday at Seion Chapel, Penmorfa, the Sunday School Supt. Mr E A Morgan, on behalf of the Sunday School, presented Bruce and Brian with a bible. They are wished every success in their new home.

Your father's name appears as Percy and Colin.Did he have a middle name?

The reports also appear in Yr Herald Cymraeg, the Welsh version of the C&D. Info is same in both, except that instead of Tremadoc Churchyard, in Welsh you have Mynwent Tremadog (Tremadoc Cemetery)
Emyr