Author Topic: Niel Black (1804-1880) Argyllshire-Australia: 'Black' Ancestors/Family Tree  (Read 2744 times)

Offline Sapientia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BRICK WALL!
Hello,

To warn you, this is a bit of a long one, and quite likely a long shot but I am at a brick wall with my family history research. I have tried to be specific below so as to not create confusion.

I am looking for any family trees (ancestors, not descendants) or hints of Niel Black, an Australian notable "pioneer pastoralist and politician", as written about by a Russell Ward in an Australian Dictionary of Biography in 1969.

Niel Black "born on 26 August 1804 at Kilbridemore in the Cowal district, Argyllshire, Scotland, the second son of Archibald Black, farmer, and his wife Janet, née Macchananaich (Buchanan). His father, a tenant of the Duke of Argyll, was killed by a fall from his horse in 1808. Niel's native language was Gaelic but he early became fluent in English. In youth and early manhood he gained a thorough knowledge of practical farming in Argyll."
He then travelled to Australia (where myself and my ancestors since then are from) and "he bought in 1840, in the Western District near Lake Terang, the stock and rights to a 43,520-acre (17,612 ha) run which he renamed Glenormiston. "

There is a lot of information about Niel himself but it is the generation above that I cannot seem to find a single piece of information on! I have searched everything available to me and have searched in variants of the Black family name (Blake, Blac etc), variants of Buchanan and various spellings of the Gaelic Macchananaich. There is even less about the Buchanan side it seems. I have searched every single site I can think of with just about every variant name, and I can't find them on any grave search websites.

I am thinking that as Niel was a native Gaelic speaker and his mothers name is even written in the biography as Macchananaich, that perhaps the (often changed around) Black surname was a different version before he reached Australia. It all seems to check out area and clan-wise (Lamont; and MacPherson for the Macchananaich branch of Buchanans) but I perhaps need help from someone who knows the area or has done Black or Buchanan family research.

The only things I know are that both surnames are seemingly localised to the Inverchaolain/Kilmodan/Kilbridemore areas and before the 1700s there are no searchable Black family members at all in those areas. Which hints at a surname variant.
It doesn't help that Archibald is a localised popular Argyll name (the Dukes of Argyll having been named Archibald for several generations) so there are a lot of Archibald Black's to confuse it with and to try and research. None have fit quite right yet.

If anyone has any information at all it would be greatly appreciated as I have spent many hours trying to decipher this one. Archibald Black is a direct line from me and it would be a shame to not ever learn any more of the Black's. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you may have any ideas, clues, facts, trees or if I have missed anything as I am not local.

Thank you Kindly in Advance

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Niel Black (1804-1880) Argyllshire-Australia: 'Black' Ancestors/Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 02:52 BST (UK) »
I have searched every single site I can think of with just about every variant name, and I can't find them on any grave search websites.

ScotlandsPeople is the only place you should be looking

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/advanced-search

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 03:03 BST (UK) »
"In the 1850s he visited Scotland again, remaining for five years until he had found a bride, Grace Greenshields Leadbetter, barely in her twenties, accomplished and attractive. They were married in 1857."

This makes it sound as though he was married in Scotland, but it was in Warwickshire.

Offline Sapientia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Debra,
Thank you for the response!
Yes, I agree! There are some interesting bits and pieces about him out there and a little like that which does conflict slightly.

I have used https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk but haven't found anything I can be sure of. It is mainly his parents (Archibald and Janet) and grandparents I am looking to find at the moment. There happens to be very little about them and absolutely no marriage records anywhere that I have found! I had hoped if I could find a marriage record there would be at least one parent's name, but no such luck.
Thank you for your trouble!

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 08:34 BST (UK) »

Hamilton Spectator 1 May 1872 p4
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/194846581?

This article, written during his lifetime, has Neil BLACK arriving in Adelaide 1839, names his business partners in Scotland. He had farming interests in SA and VIC. While he was in Europe he left his estate in the management of his nephew Archibald.

(not sure if that is SA or VIC). Is nephew Archibald a BLACK or a BUCHANAN.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
Have you found the births of Neil ( born 1804) and his older siblings? They are all recorded in Kilmodan parish and can be viewed in the OPR's on Scotlandspeople. One sibling (Jane/Jean) born 1791 appears to have married Lachlan McNeil. She died in Arrochar in 1862 age 70 ( mmn given as Buchanan on SP). A brother Archibald ( b1799) is possibly the Archibald who died in 1860 in Kilmodan ( no age or mmn on SP unfortunately) but he appears to have left a will, which names brother Neil, and can be viewed on SP.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
The only things I know are that both surnames are seemingly localised to the Inverchaolain/Kilmodan/Kilbridemore areas and before the 1700s there are no searchable Black family members at all in those areas. Which hints at a surname variant.

Inverchaolain registers start in 1735, Kilmodan in 1737, Kilmore and Kilbride in 1782 so you won't find anything before those dates.

As Niel and his siblings were all baptised in Kilmodan have you tried putting all the BLACK baps, marriages and burials into family groups to see how or if they may have been connected?

As Isobel has said, you need to try and follow his siblings forward to see where they may have ended up and find as much as you can about them.  The more you know about them the more likely you are to find clues.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
BRICK WALL!

I am looking for any family trees (ancestors, not descendants) or hints of Niel Black, an Australian notable "pioneer pastoralist and politician", as written about by a Russell Ward in an Australian Dictionary of Biography in 1969.

Here's the online entry from the Australian Dictionary of Biography  :) http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/black-niel-3003
That link includes links to additional resources including a newspaper cutting re his will and probate.  The cutting details the beneficiaries, by name and relationship  ;D
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/10458075  The Argus 5 Sept 1910.

Cousin : Annie Marion LEADBEATER
Cousin : Margaret Jane LEADBEATER
Each of the Children of his Cousin : Archibald Syme BLACK  of the Isle of Bute, Scotland [/size]
Each of the Children of his Cousin : Peter Laurie BLACK of New Zealand
Cousin : George HUTTON
Cousin : Maude HUTTON
Brother :  Archibald John BLACK
Brother : Steuart Gladstone BLACK

£230,000 plus realty plus personal value noted for the probate.

As you are seeking Niel 's ancestors, I wonder if you have the parents of the cousins and know how they are  his cousins   :)

Likely the ADB article by Russel Ward - was by a significant Australian historian  :)

https://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/16/1052885396799.html 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jmartin0805

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 24 June 19 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Sapientia,

In case it helps I just became aware of Niel Black myself and was curious about his ancestors as well, as I do a lot of research on the last name Black as well.  I was "told" he is related to the Blacks of Garvie, Glendaruel, Scotland. It is my impression that they are the oldest line of Blacks who are directly related to the Lamonts. This line of Blacks goes pretty far back and I think the last name is consistent, except maybe direct gaelic translations. It is my impression that most of the Black name variations, english and gaelic, alike, are found elsewhere. However, I could be wrong about this, just my impression.

Thank you,
Jay