Author Topic: Drawing a blank.... Inverness King/Baird  (Read 1252 times)

Offline peattie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drawing a blank.... Inverness King/Baird
« on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas to assist me move forward with a search.

I am trying to trace records for a Madeline Daisy King b 1909 in Bristol. She is on the 1911 census as living in Axbridge with her family. (Parents Harold Henry King and mother Catherine King nee campbell). The parents separated and Catherine moved back to Inverness with the children around 1920/21.

I have her in Inverness marrying David Baird in 1927 but nothing after that. There is a David Baird who is a merchant seaman as there is a mention of those records on family search.org.

A second cousin who grew up close to the area has said that she was referred to in the family as Daisy and she was told that she lived in England. I've searched records but can't find any further mention of them, or any children. There is a Roy Baird who was buried in a family plot in 1932 but I don't have any other children, nothing in the Inverness directories or the 1939 register.

I don't know if I'm missing something that would allow us to complete the puzzle?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Anne

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drawing a blank.... Inverness King/Baird
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Have you considered this possible death  :-\

Madeline D Baird Age:    50
Jun Qtr 1958 Newcastle upon Tyne  Vol 1b  Page 155

Kay

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the marriage on Scotlands People - David Baird was age 22 when he married in June 1827 and he was a painter.

On the 1930 Valuation Roll there is a David Baird living at 33 CHAPEL STREET PART OF WEST SIDE, INVERNESS who was a painter.    If you look at at the births of Bairds in Inverness I noticed in addition to Roy Baird b 1930 - Madeline Baird in 1927 which seem a possible

If the family did move  to Newcastle there is this possible death  for  David
David Baird Age72
Birth  7 Feb 1906
Dec Qtr 1978    Newcastle upon Tyne Vol 2  Page 0539

Kay

Offline peattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Many thanks for your reply.

I had seen the Newcastle death but wasn't sure it was them.

The notes on ancestry for David Baird show this:

David Baird

Birth:  02 07 1906 (2 Jul 1906) - Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Death:  Dec 1978 - Tyne and Wear (Durham), England
Marriage:  09 1936 (Sep 1936) - Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
His parents are given as Walter and Mary Neill - (it's unclear on the MC of 1927 but is a strong possibility that it is Neill or O'Neill.

The Newcastle marriage would either have been a second marriage or is a mistake as they were married in Inverness in 1927. If it was a second marriage for David I wouldn't have thought that Madeline would have stayed in Newcastle (of course might be wrong, especially if there were children)

Thanks for your time and interest.

Anne

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
I looked at the tree on Anc that include the David Baird and the 1936 marriage to Therasa Conway.   

I  don't think the tree owner has the marriage cert and as just the quarter and year is given for the marriage  with no details for the spouse other than her name.  Checking David's birth cert on SP with parents Walter and Mary he was born on 7 Feb 1906 in Aberdeen so it looks as though he and Madeline did move to Newcastle.

You mentioned that Madeline used her middle name Daisy and looking at the Electrol Register for Newcastle on Anc  in 1947 there is a Daisy M and David Baird living at 104 De Grey Street, Newcastle so it looks like the couple were still together in 1947  so I don't think the 1936 marriage relates to your David Baird

Kay

Added - There is a marriage of possible daughter Madeline Baird in Newcastle in 1949 that might be worth looking into    Just noticed that  is on the Electrol  Roll in 1952 a David H Baird in living with Daisy and David Baird in Newcastle - possible son born Inverness??

Offline peattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help and suggestions. It does look like them.

Especially the children Madaline is with an "a", which is how it's spelt in 1911 and David is obviously named for his father and the middle name of Henry could be Madaline's father. so that fits well.

Thanks again. 

:)

Offline petergreggme.com

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I found your request for more information regarding King / Baird. David Baird originally from Inverness and Madaline Daisy King originally from Bristol were my Grandparents on my mothers side.David and Daisy had six children. Roy Baird that you identified had died early in life, Madaline the eldest daughter, who you identified and married in 1949, a son called David,  my Mother Mary, and Nan and Charlotte who all moved to 104 De Grey Street Newcastle Upon Tyne from Aberdeen. Daisy died as you say in 1958 age 50 and David in 1978. All David and Daisy's children went onto marry and have many children of there own. Of David and Daisy's children Madaline age 92 and my Mother Mary age 88 are the only ones left and are still living active lives.
I hope this helps, and if theres anymore information you may need please do not hesitate to contact me on this site.  Might you be  a family member doing your Tree ? Regards Peter Gregg

Offline peattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 February 20 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thanks so much for your email. I think that Madaline and my Grandad may be brother and sister? My Grandad on my mother's side was Albert John (Jimmy) King who was born in Bridgewater, Somerset 18th April 1914. The family moved to Inverness when he was around 6, with Catherine but (we don't believe) with Henry.

My Grandad Jimmy married Kathleen Knight in 1940 in Edinburgh and had 4 children, Moira (my mum), Michael, Ian and Shelagh. He then had a lengthy career in the army.   Ian passed away recently, the others all in fine fettle.

I'd be very grateful for any further information you have about this branch of the family, if we have a connection. Especially Henry who we think remarried but we are unsure if his children family knew about that.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Anne